Hints for Jacks

sam@2bentrods.com.au

Hi All,

I went fishing with the young fella wednesday avro and got amongst others 2 Jacks, 43cms, 45cms and busted off 1/2 a dozen times. We got them on weighted flesh baits on 12lbs mono. We had a ball so much so that I want to try targeting the jacks.

Any hints or tips would be great.

Thanks again.

sorry no photos, taking the camera today.

Good work snaring winter Jacks. Like Jeff said, whatever you are doing is working so just up the leader weight. You may hook less, but you'll have more chance of landing them. I've had great success using live bait but will be waiting until warmer weather to target those bad boys. Good luck.

With Livies Sam I am not worried about using 30lb leader. They are a touch fish and warrant it around structure!

Apart from that...

Your catching a lot more jacks than the average angler in Winter!!! So I would not be to worried. Sounds like you have a top spot. I would be hitting up hard in summer!

Angus

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sam said that I (jeremy) should stop hi-jacking her account..

Anyway, We went back last night & changed a few things.

We used 6lbs main & 6kg leader on light rods. We got busted up a couple of times but what fun. Preston, the young fella, had 4 bream in the boat before I could get a line in.

No Jacks but we did end up with 12 bream for a total of 347cms, largest 34cms and one flathead 71cms.

So a couple more questions.

How do you rig your livies ?

What sort of livies do you use ?

Any body know a good reciepe for bream ?

Thanks again..

How do you rig your livies?

** Slightly longer leader than normal bait fishing - maybe a 3/0 or 4/0 circle hook? Hook higher up on the fishes back or through the eye socket

What sort of livies? - Live prawn, herring, mullet, boney bream, whiting etc =]

bream - lightly oil and pan fry w/ rice and fish sauce

Archived