Barra Baitcasters

Hunter

Hi - I am heading off to Cape York for my first real Barra trip.

I wanted to get a good value for money rod / reel combination as a back-up to my Cronarch and Loomis. I have pretty much decided on a 6-8kg 5'6" rod and now thinking about reels.

I didn't want to spend a fortune, but wanted something that can handle the strain of 20-30lb braid and a good size fish. (Hopefully)

Baitcaster Reels I have been considering are:

1. Shimano Citica

2. Shimano Curado

3. Daiwa Saltist

I realise that the Saltist is more expensive then the , Curado which is more expensive then the Citica. However for a 1 week holiday will the Citica do the job. Does anyone else have a suggestion for a Barra Baitcaster in the $200 - $300 price range.

Hunter

Thanks Nadders on the advice.

I guess I am still wondering if the extra $ for one trip up north is worth it.

I dont find a lot of value in baitcasters in brisbane for the type of fishing I do - so was trying to get away as cheap as possible without compromising chances of catching fish.

I suppose the baitcaster are useful for casting for Jacks and Flathead in the shallows of pimpama, coomera etc

the hrf is a great reel, daiwa adding a neat little function where you don't need to wind the reel into gear, you just lift the thumb bar back up. the floating spool is great to play with and the external casting adjustment is easier and less fiddly than shimano's.

Tackletour.com reviewed the curado, which is a top reel and the power handles are much loved, the dartanium drag is great as well. but they also said the citica is pretty much just one bearing short and about midway between the e5 and e7 in retrieve speed.

check out tacklewarehouse.com and go into sale items, mostly quantums but the viento is there from daiwa reel cheap. hehe :D

Archived