Bass from the drizzle....

mongrel jack

Hi all,

This little outing has been a long time coming sadly. I took the school holidays off so the young fella and I could do a few outings. Well things couldn't have gone worse to this point - the weather has been crap and the kid has been sick - pure misery..... But today the kid was well enough and it wasn't raining - drizzle doesn't count. This is also the first trip with the electric on the back of the yak.

P1010562.jpg

Since the leccy is a brand new addition we thought we better do some trolling to test it properly ;). Decided to troll a little bank we have successfully hauled bass from before and it wasn't long before my little gold Preditek Minmin was smashed and a great little fight ensued - instantly called it for a nice little bass, so imagine my surprise when this was brought yak side...

P1010557.jpg

P1010558.jpg

Fought way too hard for a 37cm flatty.

After this fella things went quite although there were more gar than you could poke a stick at and came across a little noah cruising the shallows above the rapids just past the scout camp - seems a bit early in the season but there was no mistaking it.... We decided to turn back shortly after this as the boy had a doctors appointment that mum would have killed me if we didn't go :blink: and we were cutting it fine :P . on the way back we managed these pair - one for each of us mine going 26cm and the boys 23cm. Mine was caught on the same little gold lure and Luke's was caught on a K-Mart Super Bass with a green upper and orange belly. We would normally use the spinner baits when chasing bass but were not out to deliberately target them.

P1010600.jpg

P1010603.jpg

P1010599.jpg

After this we had to pull the lines in and crank up the pace to make the appointment so left most of the return journey un-fished which is a tad disappointing. All in all a great couple of hours and we managed to keep relatively dry and made the doctors appointment :woohoo: ! Oh and also christened my bass raider rod!

Depending on weather, we might end up back there tomorrow - if its not too wet we're gonna give CIW a go instead.

Cheers!

Keen-as-fisho wrote:

Your yak is looking the goods mate B) The flatties seem to be trieving up there.

Thanks mate. Yeah there's a few about. I can't seem to get the flatty numbers dan25 gets :( but I have nailed a 60cm version in there in the past. At this point I just realized I haven't mention that we were at Colleges Crossing anywhere......

rosstralia46 - Thanks, there are plenty of bass in there but over 30cm models have always been rare (for me anyway) and the biggest I have ever got out of there was 36cm. Having said that, being out there is the journey and catching fish is a bonus for me - I also wouldn't take a wild bass so I'm not gonna stress too much over catching the small models.

Cheers!

dassa wrote:

Good to see you kicking about mate with the young fella and him getting something makes the day all worth while.Hope he gets better soon to get out and out fish dad

Thanks for the comments guys.

Good onya Dassa, he outfished his old man today - decided to go to the Coomera instead of CIW and he claimed 3 flatty's between 31 and 50cm and this little fella which was his first trevally which he was pretty happy with. And me? Well 1 baby flathead....

P1010637.jpg

P1010635.jpg

and my flatty... notice the quality :P treble hanging out of his top lip from a previous encounter

P1010634.jpg

All fish released to fight another day.

Archived