Light Surf Setup help

Scope

G'day guys, need some advice again please :whistle:

Looking for a rod to use off the beach/rocks and double as an all rounder. Its gotta be light and compact as I intend on travelling on foot with it......

Looking for the following attributes:

Light graphite rod - (3-5kg?)

2 or 3 piece

Between 8 and 12 ft

Would prefer to keep in under $250 but am open to all suggestions (both cheaper and more expensive)

If such a rod exists I'd like to hear about it :lol:

Any advice would be much appreciated

Cheers - Jono

Shoot a PM to Unchartered Tackle.

That Wilson Live Fibre 10ft (2pce) I got at SoO is crazy light for the size.

Put the Symetre 4000 on it the other day and headed down to Boggy landbased. I could cast a mile with a relatively light sinker. Very impressed with it. Strong butt section too.

You're welcome to pop over and test it anytime.

Dejavu :laugh:

You have afew options:

In my opinion man the rod your after is a Rovex MX802.. 8 foot carbon rod 3-6 kg (although under rated) have high sticked 65cm Tarpon, school Jew and 3kg Trevally up onto the rocks with it and never snapped it (yet).. Awesome rod for heavier plastics work and can fire 20-40 gram slugs a country mile.. Think it was maybe $90 which is crazy.

Secondly a Shimano Starlo Stix Shore Spin... Pretty sure they are releasing a new one this month or next.. 3-6 kg, 9ft and only just over $100... Watched a bloke skull drag an 80+cm Tailor onto the rocks fine with one which I didnt see happening haha..

Lastly Daiwa Seajigger 315 which comes in an 8-17lb.. Although they aren't hugely expensive abit over $200 I'd say they're still abit fancy for the rocks where you WILL drop it, knock it, high stick it - do all the wrong things with it etc..

You dont want a long gutless Bream rod if your going anywhere near the rocks with it.

Hope this helps.

the shimano shorespin 9 ft, 5-10kg is a great rod for flicking lures from 20-60gms. good for light beach work. depending on what rocks?, maybe too short. $100

the daiwa heartland 12ft, 12-20lbs is the perfect all round, med spin for me. light enough to chuck 60gm slugs all day with a 4000 size reel. this would be better off the rocks, having the xtra length helps too. $200.

daiwa seejiggers are good. I have the 315, 10ft3, 8-17lbs, lure 18-55gm & 325,10ft6, 15-30lbs, lure 65-175gm. $200-260

they are the only ones that I have used, after upgrading from jarviswalker stuff.

they all throw lures easily with good distance imo, using from 8- 20lbs. fins.

all Daiwa rods mentioned are on they`re web site.

cheers.

The Starlo stix shore spin would be the go but no one has them at the moment. The new model will be released in November. If you cant wait though a guy at Tackle Warehouse showed me a 9ft 4kg rod it was called an Angler, dont know much about that brand but the guy said they are a nice rod and it did feel quite nice plenty of grunt near the base. It was around the $120 mark.

• 1 year later...

Hey mate, I have since had 3 setups that do the job,

The first was a shimano catana coastline, which i think is about 9ft. I paired it with a daiwa cy4000 and it did the job nicely, the whole setup came in at under $250 brand new.

Second was a td sensor with a daiwa emcast 4500. I picked this up for a song second hand and I was pretty happy with this one until my new rod popped up at the right price.

Third and personal favourite is my nitro sniper, 10"6' 3-5kg light surf rock. This rod is awesome paired with a stradic 3000. It has done everything I wanted but is a little bit on the pricey side if you buy brand new. (I picked mine up second hand)

Also, I was chatting to one of the Jarvis Walker/Gary Howard rod building guys at the afta show last year, he said that a similar rod in the Gary Howard range should be out sometime soon, so that could even be worth a look.

I hope that helped.

Cheers, Jono

Archived