what size jigheads for 6" gulp worms

fishingfon

hey mate. I've seen people use the with normal jigheads. My experience is like yours, lots of missed hook ups. You can tie on a stinger hook to help. Just a normal long shank if you please and hook it through the tail. That'll help your hook up rate.

I'm usually too lazy for that and just halve my worm... seems to work just as well at half size as full size.

Not disputing anything previously said - I'll just give you my experience on these. :)

Firstly - worms naturally occur on the sandy floor, so that's a good place to start.

If you're in the surf I'd suggest you go slightly heavier. Maybe 1/8 or 1/4 simply for casting distance. The extra weight won't matter as these worms seem to work best on the bottom with a slow twitch anyways so the heavier weight shouldn't affect performance too much. As a side note - go normal style jigheads instead of hidden weight as HWS ones are a pain and seem to split the plastic all the time. As for cutting the worm, I don't normally bother, I've had whiting and bream smaller than the worm still manage to hook themselves. The trick is not to strike at first nibble. Let it sit for a bit then strike. Bringing it back to hook size, a 1 or 1/0 seems to do the trick most of the time for me, have hooked everything from whiting and squire and bream to little golden trevs on them.

At the end of the day - see what works for you at the time and run with it :)

Hope this helps - Jono

Archived