What can my new boat handle?

Gary Busey

Just upgraded to a 4.5 meter runabout tinnie 30hp.

As I've only ever done river fishing and only just got my licence I'm wondering what it can safely handle.

My profile pic may give an idea of the hull shape. I carry 2 22litre tanks and a 3hp for backup. After a trip from Jakobs Well to Russell Island, I estimate 40km from one tank in varying speed and weather. Max speed seems to be almost 40km/h (in perfect river conditions).

I know it's hard to say without knowing my boat but any advice would help about max wind, wave hight, distance and if there's areas in Moreton Bay I should avoid.

Thanks.

Hey gary,mate you shouldn't have to much trouble in the bay and Island's,peel,mud,coochie,and over to stradie with out any drama'a what so ever.I take mine in to the bay and out the seaway but (4.2m quintrex) always check the weather forcast before heading into the bay and out the seaway

good luck

cheers dassa

I have a 4.2 runabout so you should be able to cover quite a bit of the bay in it on good days. Like the others have said, check the weather carefully before heading out and also log in with your local VMR even by phone if you don't have a radio/radio license.

Is it a 2 or 4 stroke? I reckon youd get more than 40 ks out of a tank but always have your spare tank full.

Have fun when you get out there but keep your eyes open.

Rob

It's a 2 stroke.

Pretty sure I'd usually get quite a bit more than 40k too. The day I took it out the wind picked up quite a lot on the way back and we took it pretty slow and carefully for a while to get out of the rough stuff. I think that chewed through most of the fuel.

All good to know guys.

Appreciate it.

Cheers.

for gods sake man, stop changin shirts will ya, keep an eye open a few suspects do trips here n there, like to wavebreak for a weekend, always a good spot to get to fish, gives you a lot of different waters to get acustomed to as well. always a good trip, that 1. speaking of which, must be due a pin trip shortlt i reckon.

ok dassa can you start a thread about this as i cant start a new topic for some reason, it will needd to co inside with mark havin time off as well as straddiebrad and kev is also in, maybe even get trav and his suspects there too, along with any of the new commers. when you start the thread we can add as we go. i'm keen as .

rob.

Archived