how do i catch tilapia

fishing_teen

hey mate - I am not to far from you. The best way to catch them is to use a small hook either 4 or 6 and use them unweighted. Bait wise you can catch them on worms, bread and prawns. If you can see them it is a little easier as you can cast past them and slowly pull or jump the bait past them until the get interested. I like to leave the line a little slack so they can pick up the bait and run with it. This is the same method I use when I can not see them. Just throw out an unweighted bait, leave a little slack and wait for them to pick it up and run then strike. Good luck mate.

just a short note on how pesky tilipia can be ... I read somewhere that moving dead or alive tilipia is discouraged because they often carry eggs in their mouths / guts (can't remember for sure which is which) ... when disposed incorrectly may lead to a spread of the fish ...

i suppose if care is taken when cleaning and disposing of tilipia ... it does make a good table fish ... in some asian countries, they are bred in ponds for human consumption because they are extremely hardy and decent table fish ...

if they were bred in really muddy waters, then flesh around the guts smell of mud ... often washing in rice water / tamarind water removes the smell ...

if they were bred in really muddy waters, then flesh around the guts smell of mud ... often washing in rice water / tamarind water removes the smell ...

Rice water? do you mean water with rice wine or the starchy water when you wash rice?

I reckon they are one of the better eating freshwater fish in the south east.

Rice water? do you mean water with rice wine or the starchy water when you wash rice?

the starchy water when washing rice ... :)

• 2 weeks later...

About 6 months ago we took the kids gar fishing at wivenhoe, and we were catching about 10 tilapia to 1 gar. All tiny suckers, but there was heaps there. Using a simple unweighted rig as mentioned by a few of the others, using mainly bread on a tiny hook, but we suspended the bait under a float so the kids new when they actually had a fish and not dreamt it, :lol:

It's great to read that people do actually eat them...I've always been told that they must go in the bin and are not suitable for eating :unsure: Maybe I've been mislead...when ever I see them my mouth waters as the flesh looks so nice and filling. Might have to try one and see if it kills me I guess :lol:

Archived