outfit for estuaries and salt

mrb16a2

heys guys im new to sp ansd hb fishing and just wondering what is a good comnbo estuary and saltwater lure sp and hb outfit,rod (brand) how many kg and reel and line....targeting like lizardz,bream, jews, mangroves and other species that may exceed the point of 30+cm that users SP OR HB...

What is your budget? You can pick up a combo from BCF for a little over $100, or spend well over the $1000 mark on a good setup. I think if you turn up to a tackle store with $250 you will walk out with a nice little combo. Il let some of the tackle junkies on here suggest specific setups once you give a budget

As woodie said how much do you want to spend and land based or boating.A good starting point would be a rod of about 3/5 kg about 7ft to 7ft3 with soft tip is the go. A reel up to 2500/3000 with a spare spool so you can run 2 different line classes 1 with 3kg on up 5 on the other. If your using braid remember to always use somesort of leader material eg fluro or mono.good luck

cheers dassa

i pretty much just run 2-4kg set ups with 2500's reels. have caught fish from whiting and stupidly to a shark (only once did i do this) if your looking high end then twin power 2500's and a 2-4kg is a beutiful set up but i reckon a starlo stix pro tournament 2-4kg with a 2500 stradic will last you for years.

pat

agree with pat i can vote for a sol i have a 2500 and a 3 to 5 kg berkley attack rod and havent had anyting really test it but anything close was nothing and i run 6pd braid and looking to get 12 pd for target something a bit heavier i also have a 2 - 4 kg catana rod ( snapped the tip ><) with a sienna 2500 for only 60 buck a great reel but the main thing is wash your gear down throuoghly and i use inox to spray anywhere where it moves the handle bail arm etc

Agree with the above, 2500 on a 2-4/5 rod spooled with some good braid will see you tangle with most fishies you'll come across, and you don't have to spend a fortune either, $150-200 should see you walk away with something that'll more than be up to the task, it's when you become really hooked on it that you'll start to spend a lot more :)

Good luck with it,

Anthony.

i had a shakespear 6.6 infinity meduim lure rod and 5 bearing combo,i tried sp but with no luck at all,maybe because i havent figure how to work the twitcthing and pauses...i caugth this retard fish and gave up on it,it work a treat for bait fishing though...caught 2 jews over the 60cm mark spooled with 15lb. but the rod snapped later on fishing catfish at kangaroo point one night.

But im alwais been keen to give it a shot again hopefully with sucess...

mostly personal preference, but as a general rule spin outfits are better for your ultra lightweight stuff and baitcasters once you've learned to use them are great for close in accurate stuff.

you can birdnest for a number of reasons, trying to cast too light a lure for your setup (spool overtakes the lure resulting in a birdnest) trying to pelt something heavy too fast (spool gets way too much startup acceleration)

theres a short learning process involved but if you have access to one to try out thats all ya can do and see if you like it.

Mate I think the best advice for lure fishing be it HB or SP is to not give up on them to soon and revert back to bait. If you are dead keen to get into it, only take your lures and just keep working at it, you'll get frustrated but eventually you'll get it. If you are getting frustrated working a plastic then I think you should hold off on the baitcaster, you'll get a great spin combo for the money you've got and it will do everything you want.

Archived