Moreton Bay Seminar

Yoodles82

Hi All,

I've been informed of the following FREE seminar on moreton bay marine research, just incase anyone is interested.

Info is below, and here -

http://brisscience.wordpress.com/

Hard to stomach: Impact of marine debris on sea turtles

Dr Kathy Townsend, Moreton Bay Research Station, The University of Queensland

Moreton Bay is home to a staggering biodiversity of marine animals, including dolphins, corals, dugong and sea turtles. However, living next to Australia’s fastest growing city has its consequences for the 20,000 sea turtles who visit Moreton Bay.

In the last 20 years, floating marine debris has become an increasing concern due to the risk it presents to sea turtles. Records show that rubbish floating in the sea has caused 20% of turtle standings in Queensland by either entanglement or ingestion. However, in some areas of the world the rate is substantially higher, with up to 100% of stranded turtles containing plastics within their digestive systems.

This month, Dr Kathy Townsend from the Moreton Bay Research Station will discuss the plight of the sea turtles found in Moreton Bay and what humans can do to help.

Time: 6:30pm to 7:30pm (Doors open at 6pm)

Venue: Long Room, Customs House at Riverside

Refreshments: Complimentary wine and cheese will be served following the talk, and Dr Townsend will be available to answer any questions

Questions? Contact Andrew (a.stephenson@uq.edu.au)

Dr. Kathy Townsend is a marine biologist and the Manager of Research and Education at The University of Queensland’s, Moreton Bay Research Station (MBRS). Based on North Stradbroke Island, Kathy has been working and living on tropical research stations for over 15 years.

Kathy is a marine biologist with eclectic professional interests, which include marine ecology, animal behaviour, conservation and human impacts on the marine environment. She has published in both international and regional journals and regularly presents at scientific conferences.

Kathy is a great believer in bridging the gap between academia and the general community. Kathy has established multiple community orientated research programmes involving scientist, industry and community contributions: recently winning the prestigious Peter Doherty Award for Science and Education in 2010.

As co-director of the Marine Pollution Research and Response Unit at UQ, Kathy is untangling the impact that discarded rubbish has on Moreton Bay’s sea turtle population. Through her work, it has been found that over 35% of the animals found within this region are dying due to eating the discarded marine rubbish. In 2009, she was awarded the prestigious Earthwatch/Goldring Marine Emerging Scientist Fellowship for her work in this area

customs house is smack bang in the heart of the city right? well that makes it easy to get to, and easy parkin too, i see they have thought long and hard about the venue for this ?hmmmmmmmm.then get every 1 pissed and let em drive home through town :lol: classic. if it was in an easier place to get to with parkin i might have been interested .

Somehow I think the choice of venue is entirely on purpose.

Environmental talk > Uni/research station > therefore grant driven > customs house > city > Eagle St > $$$$$$

Customs house is owned by UQ and the speaker is a UQ researcher....seems fairly obvious to have it at a venue that you own rather than pay to hire another venue??

To quote the website:

Parking

24 hour parking is available at Secure Parking 123 Eagle Street. (5 minute walk from Customs House.)

Walk to Customs House down Queen Street or along the river boardwalk. Bus and train stations are located nearby while the City Cat stops at the Riverside Centre just a few minutes walk from Customs House.

Somehow I think the choice of venue is entirely on purpose.

Environmental talk > Uni/research station > therefore grant driven > customs house > city > Eagle St > $$$$$$

Customs house is owned by UQ and the speaker is a UQ researcher....seems fairly obvious to have it at a venue that you own rather than pay to hire another venue??

To quote the website:

Parking

24 hour parking is available at Secure Parking 123 Eagle Street. (5 minute walk from Customs House.)

Location ok fair enough, and dd you say walk ? trav any chance ya can pick me up from where i park ?

Walk to Customs House down Queen Street or along the river boardwalk. Bus and train stations are located nearby while the City Cat stops at the Riverside Centre just a few minutes walk from Customs House.

Archived