Fishing Hervey Bay

Manni79

Hey Guys

I'm heading up to Hervey Bay over Easter with my girlfriend for a few days of camping and relaxing, oh yeah and try and and squeeze in as much fishing as possible. We'll be land based although may look to hire a tinny for one of the days.

We're only up there for 4 days and have never been there so I'm hoping a few AFO'ers can share some knowledge and tips on where to fish ????

Cheers

Manni

Mate off the end of that big long peir fishing with livies has produced large trevally for me. if you take jigs out there you can catch your live herring out towards the end and just used big circle hooks.;)

also use soft plastics or bait around any of the rock walls and you will almost certainly pick up a few flathead. ;)

Mate off the end of that big long peir fishing with livies has produced large trevally for me. if you take jigs out there you can catch your live herring out towards the end and just used big circle hooks.;)

also use soft plastics or bait around any of the rock walls and you will almost certainly pick up a few flathead. ;)

Thanks mate, is that Urangan Jetty ?

Mannie i live in Hervey Bay and yeh the Urangan pier is producing big GT at the moment 25 to 30kg

any where along the foreshore will produce good flathead and golden trevs and queenfish if you need anymore info let me know

Cheers Brett

Hey Brett thanks, along the foreshore are you referring to between point vernan and urangan jetty ?

Also I'm assuming people are fishing right at the end of the jetty in the deeper water, does it get quite crowded there ?

When i lived up there it was most certain that if you werent at the end of the jetty on low tide there was no way you could get a spot there on high tide but things may of changed by now as it was mainly the old blokes out there.

Another likely spot to try is river heads ive always fished there in the bay. Your likely to catch cod, snapper, very large bream, very big flattys and even the odd jew,tailor, mackeral, bonito and wolf herring just to name a few. If your using quite expensive braid i would probably not recommend fishing there unless your not worried about it as you will lose line from the oyster covered rocks but that is why the fish are there.

Yeah it is the urangan pier. You need to watch out for locals as they can get very territorial about their fishing spots. I was fishign there a few years ago, there is an abundance of livebait available by jig there, definitely worth checking out, just for sheer interest

the gatakers bay rock canal at the boat shed/ramp was always one of my faves. i've seen tuna come in there, have caught mackerel and good flatties on lures, pillies and live herring, and once there were smaller jewfish and everyone got one but me. i got a snag

also at night along the pier, if you drop a strip of flesh down, herring again works well, unweighted on a long shank hook you'll get big pike who sit just in the shadow on the surface and most likely see squid for the picking. there's some big pike eating fish out there

oh and my final edit, don't get caught up with having to fish at the end of the pier itself, the current there makes the lines go one way or the other so its all in the end 150m or so. i always loved just where the sand went to deep. see lotsa good things happen there

the gatakers bay rock canal at the boat shed/ramp was always one of my faves. i've seen tuna come in there, have caught mackerel and good flatties on lures, pillies and live herring, and once there were smaller jewfish and everyone got one but me. i got a snag

also at night along the pier, if you drop a strip of flesh down, herring again works well, unweighted on a long shank hook you'll get big pike who sit just in the shadow on the surface and most likely see squid for the picking. there's some big pike eating fish out there

Yeah that place has some good reports, did you fish it land based?

Yeah that place has some good reports, did you fish it land based?

yeah all landbased and bike propelled

When i lived up there it was most certain that if you werent at the end of the jetty on low tide there was no way you could get a spot there on high tide but things may of changed by now as it was mainly the old blokes out there.

Another likely spot to try is river heads ive always fished there in the bay. Your likely to catch cod, snapper, very large bream, very big flattys and even the odd jew,tailor, mackeral, bonito and wolf herring just to name a few. If your using quite expensive braid i would probably not recommend fishing there unless your not worried about it as you will lose line from the oyster covered rocks but that is why the fish are there.

Mate I can't seem to find the river heads you were talkin about?

P.S we gotta organise a charter after Easter,

have fish the jetty quite alot over the yrs and caught many mackeral, mac tuna, bluefin, goldies, queenies, big shoverlies, bream, flathead, whiting and if your lucky, u might evan get a barra. never caught one their, but have seen them scratch themselves on the pylons. i no quite afew of the local boys up their as my best mate lives up their. the one thing i can suggest is get their before sunrise to get your spot and dont let them atimadate you. also try and fish a morning run in high tide around 8-9.00.

their is also a good little jetty nth of urangan jetty that can fish very good from time to time....

or jump on the ferry that goes over to kingfisherbay resort( they sometimes do special like $65 return including all you can eat seafood buffet. so you get a mad feed and their are some huge fish of that jetty also.

all 3 places is best fished with livies either unwaited of the end of the pier flicking it against the current and letting it go past watching for that tuna or mackeral to smash it, under a balloon for tuna or queenies or on bottom for macker, goldies, flathead ect.

you can evan walk the marina rock walls throwing lures for trevs, bream, cod and jacks.

what ever you decide to do, good luck

have fish the jetty quite alot over the yrs and caught many mackeral, mac tuna, bluefin, goldies, queenies, big shoverlies, bream, flathead, whiting and if your lucky, u might evan get a barra. never caught one their, but have seen them scratch themselves on the pylons. i no quite afew of the local boys up their as my best mate lives up their. the one thing i can suggest is get their before sunrise to get your spot and dont let them atimadate you. also try and fish a morning run in high tide around 8-9.00.

their is also a good little jetty nth of urangan jetty that can fish very good from time to time....

or jump on the ferry that goes over to kingfisherbay resort( they sometimes do special like $65 return including all you can eat seafood buffet. so you get a mad feed and their are some huge fish of that jetty also.

all 3 places is best fished with livies either unwaited of the end of the pier flicking it against the current and letting it go past watching for that tuna or mackeral to smash it, under a balloon for tuna or queenies or on bottom for macker, goldies, flathead ect.

you can evan walk the marina rock walls throwing lures for trevs, bream, cod and jacks.

what ever you decide to do, good luck

Thanks Kurt, i think from all the feedback i have enough info to work a few spots, thanks guys !!!

Mate I can't seem to find the river heads you were talkin about?

P.S we gotta organise a charter after Easter,

/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=river+heads&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=River+Heads+Queensland&gl=au&t=h&z=11

i wne up there around xmas, but that was when the floods were happening so it was raining all the time, spent all 4 days that i was up there and didnt get anything, but from what i was told from the topics i started is to fish the big pier, for sharks, trevS (golden, gt, ect ect), macs, mac tuna.

here is some topics that me and other people started that might help you
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/3-saltwater/303721-hervey-bay-report
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/3-saltwater/300457-any-good-spots-hervey-bay
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/30-sharking/296023-herveybay
/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/3-saltwater/293093-hervey-bay-woodgate-beach-urangan-pier-fishing

hope it helps

Corey

Archived