storing herring methods ?

wooloowizard

i wanted to store some herring in the freezer for when i only had time for a quick fish and was wondering if there was anything that keeps them in better condition than just putting them in an airtight container, iv had a look around but was wondering if anyone does the same and has a tested method. cheers

I rekon individually freezing them is an idea, just stops them bending etc and makes tehm a lot easier to separate. I also know some people salt their baits - tends to make them a bt hardier on the hook. Not too sure if people do this with herring though mate

I like to store mine in a fishs mouth! :silly: there so easy to catch I only use em while still alive(which usually aint too long as they die pretty quick.) I will only usually catch a few and pop them out and then once there gone I'll cast the net for another couple. I see too many people trying to catch as many as they can only to die before they get to use them all and then they throw most of them out.

Though if ya catch em one place then go to another to fish, my method wont work so I best shut up :pinch:

On another note, your always best to use the bait found in the area, in that area. So if you catch herring at the boat ramp then go down/up river where there are no herring, maybe only poddy mullet, the predators there will be feeding on the local mullet and u will have alot less chance using the herring.

Anyway as for storing herring, I have no idea! :silly: So theres a couple of minutes u will never get back! :whistle:

Salting works pretty well but you use a fair bit of salt, I've tried a quick dip in metho as well,(from frozen) it draws out the moisture and toughens it a little, let it dry. The taste don't seem to bother the fish.

Probably get sthe fish so blind tehy don't give a rats! :P

Salting works pretty well but you use a fair bit of salt, I've tried a quick dip in metho as well,(from frozen) it draws out the moisture and toughens it a little, let it dry. The taste don't seem to bother the fish.

Probably get sthe fish so blind tehy don't give a rats! :P

Maybe eh Jords, dunno but it works. :lol:

When I butterfly, I cut from the tail towards the head on both sides, about 3/4 of the way along. Then rip out the spine and pin them with two hooks, one in the head one just where the flaps first split. This lets teh flaps wave in the current etc - not sure if this is the correct/common way, but it is the way I was shown and usually works a charm

When I butterfly, I cut from the tail towards the head on both sides, about 3/4 of the way along. Then rip out the spine and pin them with two hooks, one in the head one just where the flaps first split. This lets teh flaps wave in the current etc - not sure if this is the correct/common way, but it is the way I was shown and usually works a charm

That's the one. they flutter nicely down through the water. ;)

You guys sound like you know what your doing with the dead ones which is better than letting em go to waste, but as far as storing em for later, I dont see the point.

Fresh is good. Live is better. U can catch bream on bread and probably even snot :sick:

Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Be interested to hear your view on people buying pillies for bait GreenMachine?

Hey nothin wrong with frozen bait if you dont have time to catch livies. I use plenty myself, but indidually wrapping and freezing dead herring ,I dont see the point . more time and hassle than casting a net and not as good as live. Have you ever seen frozen herring at a bait shop?

So whats your opinion crosby. you got one?

Hey nothin wrong with frozen bait if you dont have time to catch livies. I use plenty myself, but indidually wrapping and freezing dead herring ,I dont see the point . more time and hassle than casting a net and not as good as live. Have you ever seen frozen herring at a bait shop?

I agree that it is time and effort, and cast netting can often be pretty easy, but if you want to fish early morning, or only have time for a really quick session, it isn't always practical to throw a net, it is always useful to have backup!

I agree that it is time and effort, and cast netting can often be pretty easy, but if you want to fish early morning, or only have time for a really quick session, it isn't always practical to throw a net, it is always useful to have backup!

i agree or as i am confined to landbased herring or any baitfish may not be around so u have to have a back up plan and they beat any ohther frozen bait thats for sure and if u can get live or fresh use live or fresh and the frozen stuff can be added in berley mixes etc especially with its high oil content

Yeh thats fair. I didnt mean to knock you guys, just giving my opinion. After reading back over the posts I guess you could take it the wrong way.

fair enough mate its good clearing it up emotions dont come up over keyboards and everyone is entitled to an opinion :)

Good call Ross

i agree or as i am confined to landbased herring or any baitfish may not be around so u have to have a back up plan and they beat any ohther frozen bait thats for sure and if u can get live or fresh use live or fresh and the frozen stuff can be added in berley mixes etc especially with its high oil content

Yeh thats fair. I didnt mean to knock you guys, just giving my opinion. After reading back over the posts I guess you could take it the wrong way.

so happy all`s sweet :) ,after all,the people being helpful were answering the question asked,and if fresh is available to you, it`s the way to go ;)

With any excess herring,hardyheads etc I net, I salt and layer freeze them.

Any that are damaged/bit mushy I just freeze and add them into my burley mix when I pre mix a new batch up and freeze the burley up in individual blocks.

To salt down my bait fish I use 200 x 130 x 40 mm decore` slice containers.(cost about $3-4 each)

I sprinkle a slight layer of salt across the bottom of the container, then fit a sheet of folded paper towel over the salt, then a non crowding single layer of herring etc,sprinkle some salt over these.

Then repeat the paper towel,sprinkle of salt,layer of fish and salt etc etc until the container is full, I finish with a layer of paper towel and then salt.

When the containers are full with the lids on I give them a good shake to spread the salt and loosen the fish off the paper towel

I leave these containers in a cool shady place for about 1-1.5 hrs to let the salt draw some of the juices before I put them in the freezer.

The paper towel soaks up any excess juices drawn out.

Doing it this way I come out with individual loose fish that are firm, but still have some moisture in them.

It may take a couple of goes to get the salt balance right

so happy all`s sweet :) ,after all,the people being helpful were answering the question asked,and if fresh is available to you, it`s the way to go ;)

With any excess herring,hardyheads etc I net, I salt and layer freeze them.

Any that are damaged/bit mushy I just freeze and add them into my burley mix when I pre mix a new batch up and freeze the burley up in individual blocks.

To salt down my bait fish I use 200 x 130 x 40 mm decore` slice containers.(cost about $3-4 each)

I sprinkle a slight layer of salt across the bottom of the container, then fit a sheet of folded paper towel over the salt, then a non crowding single layer of herring etc,sprinkle some salt over these.

Then repeat the paper towel,sprinkle of salt,layer of fish and salt etc etc until the container is full, I finish with a layer of paper towel and then salt.

When the containers are full with the lids on I give them a good shake to spread the salt and loosen the fish off the paper towel

I leave these containers in a cool shady place for about 1-1.5 hrs to let the salt draw some of the juices before I put them in the freezer.

The paper towel soaks up any excess juices drawn out.

Doing it this way I come out with individual loose fish that are firm, but still have some moisture in them.

It may take a couple of goes to get the salt balance right

Some great advise given thanks Gad ;):)

Archived