First trip ever out to Moreton Bay

josmo99

Finally took the runabout out into the Bay for the first time on Fri after 2 years. We launched from Manly (great ramp, pretty easy launch and retrieve btw) and headed out in the direction of Moreton Island. After clearing Green, my first thought was: sh1t! This place is huge! Not really knowing where to go, we kinda drifted around for a while catching either nothing or small colourful fish I've never before encountered. One thing's true, it really is mostly sand and mud out there.

Anyhow, we decided to turn around and head back towards Green Island. Saw something that kinda looked like rock so anchored up in 4-5m of water. Dropped the ol' special berley and within a few moments there were pike EVERYWHERE! The water was super clear and it soon became an aquarium under the boat. The variety was astonishing. After "piking out" (haha), we started hooking into some silver trevally. Not big by any stretch of the imagination, they were fun on light gear and most welcome - we haven't eaten fresh silvers since moving to Brisbane (the ungutted rubbish sold at fishos are literally rubbish).

The only memorable catch was a first time grass sweetlip of 30cm and a snapper that was 1cm short so it went back into the drink (did think about bringing the 'rack n stretch' next time! ;)). Got busted off a couple of times on dusk then called it a day with a catch of mostly silver trevally, leatherjackets and a couple of bream. I know, compared to what some of you catch out there, it's pretty sad but hey we have to start somewhere!

If anyone is kind enough to give me a head start on finding the bigger silver trevally, I'd appreciate that a lot thanks! Believe or not, I prefer to catch them over snapper. PM me if you like.

Big silvers in the bay are rare. You get the odd one up to about 40cm bit the big boys hide outside the bay. At the right time of year you will get good golden trevs on the western side of moreton isl and gt's most of the year, particularly around dunwich on straddie. If you'd like a guide on your next trip, my boat is out of action, happy to oblige. :)

as I can see on our display picture you had a great catch, if it was me i would have tried to catch one of those pike and use it as bait for a massive GT :lol: ( any big fish )

thanks for the read,

Q

No worries! After I posted that report, I realised I caught the same fish at Green as the ones in my profile pic hahaha! Those were taken from inshore reefs at Batemans Bay NSW, my old haunt. To think that they followed me over 1000km to the north :huh:

I filleted a couple of pike and put 'em out on floaters. Got busted off on these. I was only fishing light gear.

One thing I can say is that there's no lack of small bream and tarwhine in the Bay, very healthy population. Good to see the prawn trawlers haven't wiped them out.

That's a good haul there mate, well done. Can't tell you where the bigger ones are because I'm struggling to find fish ATM. Did you catch them on that reef on the nth eastern side of green?

They're not big. The snapper was the biggest at 34cm, the silver trevally were around 25cm and the two bream were 26cm and 27cm respectively.

We were on the eastern side of Green. The bottom looked like sand with a few rocks/dead coral (?).

If you'd like a guide on your next trip, my boat is out of action, happy to oblige. :)

Sure, why not. The more the merrier they say! :lol: My boat's only a 4.25m runabout so it has a limited range. From what I hear, Moreton can turn it on in a flash so don't wanna be caught on the wrong side of the Bay.

Archived