New sounder for my boat

pantherman

Hi everyone.

Have just purchased my 4.3m Stessco tinny, and will be picking it up in the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to sending some pics when I get it.

However, I am not sure which sounder to get. I like the thought of the combos, but am open to suggestions.

I like the Humminbird 788cxi. Just has Sonar and GPS.

Then there is the next one up, 798cxi with Sonar, Gps, and Side Imaging, but a lot more expensive.

In the other range is the Lowrance HDS5.

Most of my fishing will be for Flathead, Whiting, Bream in the estuaries, with the odd trip in the bay going for tailor and Winter Whiting.

Once I get my confidence, might venture over to Peel etc, to catch some snapper.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

A few tips if you intend to purchase o/s.

If you get a lowrance from usa their gps units have geofencing.

Ones from Canada do not but check first.

If you are comfortable with imperial measurement units ok.

Alternative is to locate an international model which are usually a bit dearer but are switchable between metric and imperial.

Prices overseas are normally around 40% of Aussie prices but if you have a warranty claim you have to send back to place of purchase.

Also watch what some of the sellers charge for postage as some of them rip you off.

Cheers

Ray

I have a HDS-5 (sounder only) and love it. Awesome detail and clarity. My only concern is the amount of talk I have heard regarding poor after sales service, but I have not had a problem with mine so can not comment first hand.

I have older Humminbird sounders (and a Minn Kota) that are covered by BLA. I can only speak highly of BLA's service when it comes to after sales service and repairs. They offer 2 year warranty on all Humminbird sounders bought in AUS, and when I have dealt with them the turnaround has been only a couple of days. They also offered me a substantial discount on a new sounder when an old one was out of warranty and needed repair.

In my opinion, an electrical item fitted to a boat that spends it's life bouncing thru waves and getting splashed with salt water warrants the extra money to buy locally and get the warranty and service offered in AUS.

The GPS option is nice, but unless you are going to fish the bay type areas, then it is more a luxury than a necessity. Of course, if you have the money I am sure you won't regret buying it. The screen size on a HDS-5 is probably a bit small to appreciate a combo unit in split screen mode.

Marty

Thanks guys for your comments.

For what I will be doing, I am still not sold on the idea of the GPS.

I am thinking either the Lowrance or the humminbird, hust in the sounder form.

If I want a GPS, I soppose I can always get a handheld one down the track.

The quick turnaround with the humminbird is appealing though.

Might have a look at the Humminbird 778cx.

If you're going to fish at night the GPS is worth its weight in gold (or Carbon :whistle: )

Marking spots, heading back to spots, following the track back etc etc. Not a lot looks the same at night.

Not as important as the sounder but well worth having imo.

I've got the 798SI and the GPS is great for double checking waypoints etc, as mentioned by ellicat it's awesome for night trips. Although the detail isn't much better than a beacon to beacon it's convenient to have and only a button away.

Look into what software is available to load marks onto your GPS.

Lowrance is one of the few companies that offer free software to do this. I am just going off personal experience but i have always had Lowrance and found that the time when i did have a problem, their backup service was great. I have just bought another Lowrance HDS-8 and love the user friendly units they have in their range. But its a bit of a personal thing.

good luck

pantherman, I had the same Hummingbird on my 4.85Stessco, both great I found the Humminbird good and clear. When I went to sell the boat the other year I went to turn it on and nothing, rand Humminbird up in Brisbane and explained to them I was selling the boat woth it and the replaced it straight away no questions asked Great service. It turned out to be the internal aerial.

personally id prefer 2 units when off shore its a lot easier to find marks

in estuary situations id like a 3d unite or a side scan as they are great for spotting structure

however i didnt have the cash for this and ended up with a huminbird 727 combo which im resonably happy with id still like side scan though

Archived