muddies still around

rosco1974

post-3985-144598642167_thumb.jpg

put some pots out yesterday to get a couple of muddies for a nice sunday lunch washed down with a few beers.went back this morning to get 4 good muddies full as,also got a few keeper muddies what were only 3/4 full so i threw them back as i had enough for lunch.i recon only the full muddies taste any good anyway.not bad for the middle of winter.will take a pic and add when they are finnished cooking.used whiting frames and reef fish fraes for bait,the reefie frames worked best.most crabs in 1 pot was 12 with 2 keeper males kept and the rest released.

cheers rosco

• 2 weeks later...
press under where u measure a crab, if it moves it normally is not full.another good sign that a crab is full is the underside of the crab is normally a brownish color.

Cheers rosco :woohoo: .. so they are soft to touch they are hollow? as its not long since they would have shed the shell im guessing?

how to u tell if a crab is only 3\4 full? Tap them if they sound hollow ? :blink:

press the area between the underside caripice extremities just above the legs if its soft the crab is going to be a water bag.

I've found the browner the fuller they are, when the shell takes on a greenish colour they're hollow for mud crabs at least

Archived