King of Moreton Bay Northern Qualifier Report

Orca

King of Moreton Bay (Northern Qualifier Round 1 - Bream)

Another beautiful S E Queensland winter morning greeted anglers as they set off to fish Round 1NQ (Bream) of the Austackle “King of Moreton Bay†Team Series event. Bream was the target species for the day with points being awarded according to length (25cms min) measured to the fork of the fish and not the tail.

post-9073-144598642315_thumb.jpg

The “Paddle Ninjas†(Ziyaad & Ahmed Hassan) preparing to leave Wellington Point Boat Ramp.

As in the Southern Round, this rule proved to create quite a hurdle to a lot of teams. Fish were plentiful but a high percentage was between 22 and 24cms in length. With a morning run in tide, early morning catches were good with catch rates slowing down with the start of the run out tide and worsening weather conditions. Some of the higher scoring teams found sheltered spots in amongst the Bay Islands and the Brisbane River.

After 10 hours of fishing, Teams went back to the Redlands Multi Sports Club at Birkdale to hand in their scoresheets and photographs and get stuck into some hot food and cold drinks at the bar while the results were being worked out.

A slight delay occurred during the processing due to 2 teams being very close together in points, so all photos and scoresheets were checked and double checked. In the end just 1 fish separated the top 2 teams. After what must have seemed like an eternity for these 2 teams, the winners were announced and over $4000 of prizes handed out courtesy of Austackle.

Top 5 Senior Teams Round 1 Northern Qualifier (Bream)

1. Redland Multi-Sports (Dom Ferre & Ross Schwartz) 1496pts

2. Team Stradic (Shane & Nathan Wolhunter) 1434pts

3. Austackle Gold (Peter Cashman & Mike Cole) 472pts

4. Team Scaley (Henry Spierenburg & Rob Brown) 306pts

5. Toey As (Steve Butler & Michael Day) 106pts

Highest Individual Points (Senior Male) Dom Ferre 968 pts

post-9073-144598642326_thumb.jpg

James Morris presenting Team Redlands Multi-Sports (Ross Schwartz & Steve Dom Ferre) with

the winners prizes of 2 x Takeda Fireblade Spin Rods & Tackle Packs valued at over $1000.

CONSOLIDATED TEAM RESULTS AFTER ROUND 1

With Round 1 (Bream) now completed, the top 12 Team results are as follows:

1. Redland Multi-Sports (Dom Ferre & Ross Schwartz) 1496pts

2. Team Stradic (Shane & Nathan Wolhunter) 1434pts

3. Team ANSA (Steve Gregory & Steve Celovski) 746pts

4. Anglers Connection (Brett Rayner & Chad Paterson) 582pts

5. Austackle Gold (Peter Cashman & Mike Cole) 472pts

6. Team Sundowners (Charles Hudson & Fred Preston) 316pts

7. Team Scaley (Henry Spierenburg & Rob Brown) 306pts

8. Toey As (Steve Butler & Michael Day) 262pts

9. Team Paras (Peter & Elloise Paraskevopoulos) 206pts

10. Wishful Thinkers (Peter Banning & Janine Mason) 172pts

11. Darmac (Lachlan McLennan & Darren Tweedale) 116pts

12. Team Noodles (Nat Connors & Jordan Garnsworthy) 108pts

CONSOLIDATED INDIVIDUAL RESULTS AFTER ROUND 1

With Round 1 (Bream) now completed, the top 12 Individual results are as follows:

1. Dom Ferre 968pts

2. Shane Wolhunter 840pts

3. Nathan Wolhunter 594pts

4. Ross Schwartz 528pts

5. Steve Gregory 482pts

6. Peter Cashman 366pts

7. Brett Rayner 330pts

8. Steve Celovski 264pts

9. Chad Patterson 258pts

10. Fred Preston 204pts

11. Peter Paraskevopoulos 156pts

12. Henry Spierenburg 156pts

SOME IMPORTANT NOTES

Although this is a Team Series culminating in a Grand Final, it is quite ok if teams just want to fish in 1 or 2 events. There is no requirement at all to fish in all of the rounds. For example, the 2nd Round of the competition (Flathead) is timed to occur the weekend before the Gold Coast Flathead Classic and teams may choose to enter this event and also use it as a “pre-fish†for the Classic.

For more information about this competition and to download entry forms, please go to:

www.kingofmoretonbay.com.au

Entry Forms are also available at many tackle shops in Brisbane and the Gold Coast.

Hey mate, how many people will be going into the final?

Good to see Nat and I are holding strong in the top 12 :P

Maximum of 50 teams will be invited to fish in Grand Final. Expect a huge number of entries for the Flathead round.

Bringing up the rear! ;-)

You and Jords are actually nowhere near the rear. There are plenty of lower scores than yours and even doughnuts Nat so get ready for Round 2.

Bringing up the rear! ;-)

You and Jords are actually nowhere near the rear. There are plenty of lower scores than yours and even doughnuts Nat so get ready for Round 2.

Pfft who donuts :whistle: :huh: :silly:

Coming 2nd great and the bro coming 3rd great event

When you first bought in your scoresheet i really thought you would win easily, but as the old saying goes " it aint over till the fat lady sings"

Congratulations anyway on a great effort.The winners told me last night over a beer that Flathead were not their string suit so plenty of opportunities for everybody to catch them up.

mate yeah its should be good mate only thing is my brother is going over seas for 3 weeks in september so will have to find a partner also would the points still continue if i have a new partner?

yeah when you said the dates changed me and nathan just looked at each other so thats why we went so hard yesterday

mate yeah its should be good mate only thing is my brother is going over seas for 3 weeks in september so will have to find a partner also would the points still continue if i have a new partner?

yeah when you said the dates changed me and nathan just looked at each other so thats why we went so hard yesterday

The Team points will get carried over and so will individual points.

and it doesnt matter if i have diffent partner?

No - All Teams are allowed a substitute. Obviously your brothers individual score will suffer because your substitues score will not be added to his - only the teams.

We quite enjoyed our first attempt at a fishing comp. Thanks Orca.

Austackle's Peter was more than happy to pass on some breaming tips for our future endeavours. I thought that was great of him. Ahmedy needs all the help he can get :P It was also good to meet up with some of the other contestants after the event, including a very friendly crew from the Capalaba amateur fishing club.

All in all, a really good day :)

We quite enjoyed our first attempt at a fishing comp. Thanks Orca.

Austackle's Peter was more than happy to pass on some breaming tips for our future endeavours. I thought that was great of him. Ahmedy needs all the help he can get :P It was also good to meet up with some of the other contestants after the event, including a very friendly crew from the Capalaba amateur fishing club.

All in all, a really good day :)

You guys did well in your kayaks in the face of a pretty strong wind later in the morning. Many many people commented on what a great couple of guys you were and how nice it was to see young people with such great manners and demeanour. Well done.You are a credit to your family and the AFO community.

Archived