Fishing mudflats around Macleay Island

mick2me

Hi just thought I would write up a little report...

Today at 8:30am I hit the water with my mate Nathan to fish the last of the out going tide for Flathead in his over powered 3.75M tinnie.

Day started off cold but the bay waters were reasonably calm and the sounder was reading water temp at 14 degrease.

When we got to my mates spotX:

I started working a 2" Gulp Shrimp on one rod as I did all day and on my second rod a pike fillet on a three gang hook was soaking up the bay.

Nathan was working a Vide blade lure for the day on one rod and his second rod was also soaking a pike fillet on a two gang hook

over the next few hours we were catching flathead between the size of 40cm - 55cm on the blade lures and 2" gulp shrimp.

on the pike fillets we caught one 30cm bream and a black tip reef shark, we also had a few other zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz but was either bitten off or was not able to land due to hooks being spat out (I am still amazed by the bream being hooked on a ganged fillet of pike :blink: )

Anyways sorry about the bad quality mobile phone photo's of the ones we decided to keep for a feed, and some were just to bad to even bother putting up.

post-4921-144598645093_thumb.jpg

post-4921-144598645103_thumb.jpg

post-4921-144598645112_thumb.jpg

post-4921-144598645122_thumb.jpg

post-4921-144598645131_thumb.jpg

Here is also a photo of a bird that landed on the boat wanting a free hand fed meal, lol, we both couldn't believe it, I tried moving to get a better shot but it flew away.

post-4921-144598645141_thumb.jpg

Cheers hope you enjoyed the read.

Mick.

good one mate - I was there Saturday but it was a little slow. What part of the tide did you have the most success?

Was as soon as we got there right up till the change of tide... when the tide started to run in it all went dead...

cheers

Nice feed of flatties there mate - well done. Just thank your lucky stars the cheeky bird didn't decide to get hooked up - geez all hell breaks loose trying to unhook pesky birds!!!!! I know what you mean about the bream - I was rather surprised to catch a 34cm one on a live herring meant for a tailor near the poo schute a couple of weeks ago.

Nice feed of flatties there mate - well done. Just thank your lucky stars the cheeky bird didn't decide to get hooked up - geez all hell breaks loose trying to unhook pesky birds!!!!! I know what you mean about the bream - I was rather surprised to catch a 34cm one on a live herring meant for a tailor near the poo schute a couple of weeks ago.

haha, I know, I went out to Raby Bay with light gear and soft plastics the other day chasing bream for 1 that was under sized, and instead brought home the pike that was used today to catch one when we weren't chasing them. :silly: :lol:

Archived