Saltiga 5000H

tikki169

HI

I'm trying to convince myself but want to get some others ideas and seeinga s Genisis (Glennn) isn't in Aus at the moment I thought I'd go to the masses. Every time him and I discuss reals it sets me back a couple hundred bucks.

I'm looking at possibly getting the 5000H 2010 Saltiga, now I have a Caldia 2000, Certate 2500R, Certate 3000 and a Saltist 4500H. My thoughts are to possibly get the 5000H and then get rig of the 4500H. I have a Van Stall 100LBS jigging rod (but don't get much chance at the moment to jig as I usually go fishing with spear fishermen and they stick to the 30m mark). I tend to fish light but when the bigger fish are about I use the 4500H with T-Curve Off shore 6' 8" 15kg rod.

I know how good the Saltiga's are and really love the magseal like the Certate's but in all honesty is it worth upgrading. If I was going to be jigging once a month I wouldn't have an issue but it's going to get occasional use, though I'll do trips to 1770 every 2-3 months now.

I guess I'm trying to justify it to myself spending that sort of money.

O and I can get one direct from Japan for $850 landed so far less than I'll pay here.

Thanks

saltiga hands down kev, however that said if your not getting owned then just keep using the saltist until it breaks? that said if you really want one then the blast might be a good intermediate cost wise its cheaper but with less bearings and different handle.

Hey Eug

Yeah I had a look at the Blast and if I'm going to spend the money I may aswell get the 5000H, the difference between that Saltiga and the Saltist doesn't really warrant me getting it but the difference between the 5000H and the Saltist is huge. I'm still in to mind but def leaning towards getting the Saltiga.

The Stella is a beautiful piece of equipment but the Magseal is what makes the Saltiga a better choice for me. When I go out to the reefs at 1770 its going to be and has been for 3-4 days at a time and they really get exposed while out there and traveling between spots and no fresh water to clean them with every night (I'm pedantic like that), out of interest what's the price of the 8000?

Hey Eug

Yeah I had a look at the Blast and if I'm going to spend the money I may aswell get the 5000H, the difference between that Saltiga and the Saltist doesn't really warrant me getting it but the difference between the 5000H and the Saltist is huge. I'm still in to mind but def leaning towards getting the Saltiga.

The Stella is a beautiful piece of equipment but the Magseal is what makes the Saltiga a better choice for me. When I go out to the reefs at 1770 its going to be and has been for 3-4 days at a time and they really get exposed while out there and traveling between spots and no fresh water to clean them with every night (I'm pedantic like that), out of interest what's the price of the 8000?

8000swpg stella on motackles is $949 but if you shopped around you could possible get it cheaper.

Have you looked at the 6500h saltiga its 220grams heavier then the 5000H but you get 30kg of drag instead of 15kg and i reckon it would fit just nicely on your 100lb Van Staal rod.

Bugger now I'm def going to have to go in store and have a look at the 6500H Dog Fight. Can get that from Japan for just over $940 so not much difference. Decissions decissions, DAM YOU DAIWA!!!

The black and gold matches the Van Staal perfectly :silly:

mag-seal is a newly adoped way to seal the gap between moving parts on a reel that provides LESS RESISTANCE when winding BUT NOT NECESSARILY MORE PROTECTION. daiwa developed mag seal on a fishing reel so that the saltigas are freer but.....certainly not as water proof as stellas.

if you want a reel for true hard work, go for the stella. the saltiga's great to look at for some and that's about it. seen plenty of saltigas owned by big fish or saltwater intrusion but not any stella SWs

mag-seal is a new way to seal the gap between moving parts that provides LESS RESISTANCE when winding BUT NOT MORE PROTECTION. daiwa develops mag seal so that the saltigas are freer but.....certainly not as water proof as stellas.

if you want a reel for true hard work, go for the stella. the saltiga's great to look at for some and that's about it

Not sure I agree with that, waterproofing was definitely on their mind. I have 2 Certates, one with and one without magseal and I can tell you from recent experience, the one with it doesn't get any salt or water inside while to one without had a little, not a lot but it was there.

Also have a look here
/>http://daiwafishing.com.au/?page_id=7048

"By introducing Mag Seal, Daiwa has made this a problem of the past. Besides the benefits of eliminating saltwater penetration, prevention of corrosion and wear, Mag Seal allows for smooth and light rotor operation, thus increasing sensitivity."

you are not wrong but i was comparing new mag seal reels with stella not old certates. older certates suck at water proofing we all know that, even daiwa called it a problem. the new mag seal certainly makes the newer certates and saltigas better than the older ones but better than stella? sorry i don't think so

btw i have had certates 1003, 2000, 2004, 2506, 2500r, 3000, 2500r hyper and few stellas 2000, 2500, c3000HG, 5000sw and when every single certate had water in them from the 1st session those stellas never had any trouble. the c3000hg i've used in thailand for 1yr and a half without being washed at all (brackish water fishing) was only taken apart after 1 yr snapper fishing here in australia and i didn't see any mixture of water and grease. it was just slightly discolored grease on the gears that's about it. BTW daiwa's under greased roller bearings are always a worry.

but mate if you've set ur mind on a saltiga go for it at least they look bloody sexy! unless your fishing off the beach or popping for GT on a daily basis i don't think you'll have any trouble at all. a mate of mine's got the older 4500Zs, couple GTs and a dog fight he used them a lot jigging and popping for medium sized doggies, large kings and AJs without any issue for the past 2 yrs. although he recently opted for the stellas he assured me he'll try out the new saltigas too.

i think with either reel you'd be fine. here's a video that i came across while looking for more info a while back. the oil contains ferrous material which i'm a little skeptical about. while they claim it's waterproof after watching the video i think the seal itself will do a good job with general use and splash, but not sure about a proper dunking. i guess i'd like to sit back and let the brave ones like you test them out over time :P

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uXnacJhq8&feature=player_embedded

Interestingly I can get an 8000SW delivered from the US for just over $800 (gotta love the strong dollar). I may go to Tackle Warehouse over the weekend and have a play with all of them to see what they feel like and which one I prefer.

Decisions.

I do like my Daiwa's but I'm not adverse to the old Stella

Right the choice has been made. Saltiga 5000H it is. I went to Tackle Warehouse yesterday to try them out and took my jigging rod with as a test and I must say the 5000H feel smoother than the Stella, line capacity is 50m more to so that's a bonus.

There are pros and cons with both but the click drag system and UTD washers do feel alot smoother on the Saltiga. I know the Stella has more stopping power but to be honest if the drag pressure of the Saltiga can't stop it you're in a world of hurt no matter what.

Another bonus is the Aluminum Power knob is already on the Saltiga and I'd want to replace the Stella one cause I really don't like the feel of it.

Will be ordering from Japan as they can't get anywhere near the price I can get it landed for so will save over 1/3 of the price and if need be I can return to Daiwa Japan for warranty and I'm still going to be up on the savings.

I'd like to thank the ATO for a quick tax return turn around time :P

Have a look at this probably the best review of the new Saltigas.

Might change your mind.

Recently bought a 4500S Extreme localy for $800.
/>http://stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?t=768370

Thanks for that link elops interesting read.

As someone in the market for something similar this has been a great thread to read. Thanks all round!

Angus

Archived