gear ratios on baitcasters?

Howie

Hay guys just a quick question...

Apart from the obvious amount of line retrieved, is there much of a difference between a baitcaster with a ratio of 5:1 and 7:1?

Like will it really matter what all that much?

I'm tossing up between a curado 200e5 and 200e7.

Shaun

What are you looking for mate? Basically it means that a 5:1 will only get in 5/7ths the line of a 7:1.

I.e. if turning the handle 10 times brings in 2m of line on the 5:1, you would get 2.8m on the 7:1.

This only comes in when you need high speed retrieves, or have to really wrench a fish out of structure

I too faced this dilema just recently and couldnt decide, so i bought one of each!!! :woohoo:

my thoughts are that the e5 has better drag off the shelf, so better for barra etc, however the slower retreive ratio is good for slow rolling spinnerbaits.

Hint: Bransfords in cairns has/had the curado's advertised for $199. if you hit MoTackle up, they should beat that price by 10%, therefore giving you a price of $179.99 plus postage!!! not a bad price for a quality reel imo!!!

there's a fairly big difference between a 5:1 and a 7:1. if you're chasing big strong fish on heavy ish tackle you'll appreciate the extra torque of a 5:1 reel, and if you're fishing for faster fish where line recovery is important, the 7:1 will suit you better

cheers

Dan

Cheers fellas

I get that the higher ratio retrieves more line thas obvious. Although the low down grunt of the e5 is more what im after, not so much pulling in a lot of line quickly.

and thanks for the heads up chonna :) I was looking on ebay and buying over seas although I'm a little hesistant with the warranty etc

shaun

Archived