Hinze dam 24/6/07

Aaron H

Well had a few hours to kill this afternon, so I thought I would go down and give the Hinze a go. Got some shrimp from the aquarium and got to the main ramp about 11:45am. As Ray mentioned in the other post, I couldn't believe my eyes the wind was howling white caps were breaking and the water was a chocolate colour, after some swearing and cursing and contemplating whether to risk it as it was calm where I fished in the winter comp, my missus talked me into seeing what the Numinbah ramp was like. Got down there and it was a totally different scenario. Steve was packing up as I got there and as we were having a yarn he told me that the dam had rolled and on Saturday they caught stuff all. But up the top end they were catching fish all morning. Confidence was momentarily shattered, then picked up again, especially when I saw the 49 cm bass caught by one of the group.

Launching was an absolute mongrel, not confident in launching in the water with the sinking mud (WAter is now about three foot under the ramp) and only a camry, a carry down launch was required (thank god its only a little boat).

We went around the corner where Steve said to go and action was pretty much instant with the usual bass between 30-40cm on shrimp, and a nice SilverPerch. Again nothing on lure. Went for an explore around to rocks where Angus caught the yella on the winter comp and the water was a horrible colour and could not get a bite. So after that we went back to the other spot and kept playing with the school bass until the shrimp ran out. Got absolutely smashed by something that took three shrimp on a hook and did not stop until it found a snag. Nothing like a big fish lost and me left wondering what it might have been:(

[img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/24062007.jpg

post-266-144598418787_thumb.jpg

Archived