Could not get Tilapia to bite - need suggestions

mee

I went down to a little creek that is full of Tilapia. I could see schools of big ones swimming around in front of me. I tried with bread and with worm. I tried with a float and on the bottom. The only nibbles I got were from much smaller fish (probably a few small natives still left there).

So, what can I try?

I think I saw a report that corn kernels work. Do you use them raw or cooked?

What about lures?

I've found if they can see you they won't bite. So I chuck in my line then hide somewhere away from the bank where they can't see me, then after they lose their skittishness they will bite, so you just quickly have to run back to your rod when they take it.

I've found earthworms on a size 6 hook to be the best. Also have got the very odd one on small SP's when chasing JP's.

I've found if they can see you they won't bite. So I chuck in my line then hide somewhere away from the bank where they can't see me, then after they lose their skittishness they will bite, so you just quickly have to run back to your rod when they take it.

I've found earthworms on a size 6 hook to be the best. Also have got the very odd one on small SP's when chasing JP's.

Sounds like an amusing way to fish.

These guys were lolling around right up to the bank, less than 4 feet from where I was standing. They were just swimming lethargically around, but I did see a school or two of smaller bait fish get agitated when something chased them. Maybe they are too well fed. There was a dead one on the bank that somebody had caught. Nice big one too. I'd definitely like to have some fun with them myself.

Does time of day matter much?

dawn and dusk is definitely the best times. Like tiotony said, if they can see you they get shy. I cast out a worm on a very small hook and let it slowly sink to the bottom and leave it there until you see the line start to move then take up the slack and hopefully the hook sets. And use no more than 4lb line. the clearer the water the lighter the line to use. I use 2 and 3lb flurocarbon line and a number 10 hook

Yeah it is pretty funny sprinting back to your rod when you get a bite!

If they are still not biting maybe lighter line and try different baits till you find what they really like? In my tilapia experience they are a)dumb and b)greedy all day and night, so surprised they're not biting?

Yeah it is pretty funny sprinting back to your rod when you get a bite!

If they are still not biting maybe lighter line and try different baits till you find what they really like? In my tilapia experience they are a)dumb and b)greedy all day and night, so surprised they're not biting?

I was surprised too, because in my misspent youth, I used to have some in a fish tank (these same species or close cousins). This was way before they were banned. They were always greedy eaters - and prolific breeders too, so it's no wonder they are taking over.

dawn and dusk is definitely the best times. Like tiotony said, if they can see you they get shy. I cast out a worm on a very small hook and let it slowly sink to the bottom and leave it there until you see the line start to move then take up the slack and hopefully the hook sets. And use no more than 4lb line. the clearer the water the lighter the line to use. I use 2 and 3lb flurocarbon line and a number 10 hook

OK, so you fish on the bottom. I tried a float because they were hanging around the surface, but quite possible there were just as many at all depths.

I need to try lighter line like you say too.

Archived