Techni-Ice Ice boxes

woody1

Does anyone have any experience with Techni Ice? I need a new esky and am thinking of getting the 70L + 40L + 12L deal HERE

The 70L looks like it is big enough to hold an average sized school/spotty mackerel, without taking up the whole tinny, and the 40L means I dont need to turn up to BBQ's with an esky covered fish guts.

We got one as a wedding present. Two days before Xmas I pulled out the Coleman esky and teh Techni and put three bages of ice into each for Xmas day. On Xmas day most of the ice in the Techni had melted and the Coleman was only a quarter melted.

Both had not been opened at all - I would look for another brand. The built quality, thinkness etc seems ok but it was just not up to the job compared to the coleman. must say I was quite suprised.

My Techni-Ice will only hold ice for 2 days, where the better ones will hold it for 4 to 5 days.

I am happy with it but whatever esky you buy you should always take a good torch with you and shine in around inside the esky and see if you can see light through the outside, If you can it means they haven't injected the insulation properly. This was a big problem in the early poly esky's

I have 4 of them largest is 60l and very happy with them keep items cold and practically indestructible.Kept ice for over 3 days inside tent in 40degree heat at Tamworth.

They outperform an evakool fibreglass one . The fibreglass chips and the hinges and catches break.

Only thing that i can fault is that the internal cord goes mouldy if you do not dry out esky before storing but a spray with bleach fixes it.

You have to be a bit carefull with the techniice slabs. If you are going to use them with redclaw or other spiny things the spines on the redclaw cuts the slab so it pays to put a sheet of plastic in first.

CHeers

Ray

Ive seen mixed results with them, Ive got a few mates with them, for the price they are great. Unless you want to keep ice for a week. I have a coustom made fiberglass esky thats over 200 liters and is stll pretty light and with keep ice for seven days even without the latch done up (it seals really well) you can keep your eyes out for second hand eskies around the place but for the price they arnt bad. Hepas of places sell dry ice too so you can use that if camping

I don't really need to keep ice for too long, I have a freezer for camping and never go anywhere that doesnt get an ice truck through it daily. Thanks for the feedback, I think I will risk it. Thanks for the tip about the ice, I will have to make sure the water is nice and cold before I throw any muddies in there!

Archived