new bass creek

T Fisher

With the rain that has been falling in the upper Bremer river catchments latley and Moogerah dam constantly over flowing my Bass spots have been virtually un fishable.Last week the water was getting down to where it would be comfortable to get out and what do you know rain and then one of the river height indicators shwed a rise from .5m higer than usual to 7m of water going over in a 24 hour period. I would hate to be down there when that started coming through it could be tricky getting out. Once in the past I was down there at about 2pm in the arvo saw that the water was starting to move quicker and rising about 10cm in 30 mins I got out of there as the only way out is to walk back upstream the bank behind me was too steep and overgrown to get out if that was the only option. Three hours later there was 4.5m of water tearing over that spot and this was from a storm out past rose wood and below church bank weir. Moogerah was not contributing to that rise. Hense the reason I am careful and have been giving this area a wide berth latley.

Any way this situation has called for a new plan find the bassturds some where safer and get my fix as I was starting to suffer from the DT's. I have been crossing this litte bit of a hole on my way to and from work for over 15 years and have had a go there in the past but could only manage spangle perch on lure and mullet on bait. I stoped there one afternoon there about 3 weeks ago to have a try.I couldn't get a touch not even from a spangled and was thinking this place is dead. There was a couple of young fellas there fishing worms on the bottom and I went over for a chat while i was talking to them I finally got a hit and landed my first ever tilapia on lure. One of the boys who had never used a lure before decided to try out one he had purchased that morning he opened the packet put it on cast out a Had a couple of winds and bang he was on . He landed a 44cm bass.His first ever cast of a lure and his first ever bass and was he stoked. His mate was telling him to take it home but he decided to release it as he wanted to have a chance of experiencing it all over again one day. Good decision I think as I would love to tangle with that fish myself one day. I had to leave shortly after that but already had a plan in place for my next visit.

On the following weekend I took my Kayak down there nice and early for a visit. I managed one solid spangle there early.

post-7578-144598762332_thumb.jpg

It was getting close to time I had to clear out as I had been given instructions to get home by 8.30 and no bass had joined the party. I was trolling back to where i had to take the kayak out and got smashed :woohoo: it was a bass .

post-7578-144598762345_thumb.jpg

only an average sized bass but I was starting to feel the life come back into my body. I left with that fish and tore home i was only 10 mins late. (had to have a couple of casts after that as i went along :whistle: )

Since that day I have had a few stops to and from work for 15 - 20 min quicky usually managing one or two fish . Erlier tis week the water came up fairly high in this spot too but most of it drained away within a couple of days when I went back I got 3 from the same spot in 10 mins casting at a new sand bar that had been formed.

Hre a some of the pics noting huge but I am starting to get over my ailment with there help.

post-7578-144598762353_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762361_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762377_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762369_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762383_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762388_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762396_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598762404_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Glad you found a place to get your fix, its so addictive and the rains really been a pain lately. When all the rivers calm down we'll have to organise a big bass trip.

with the weather warning out at the moment I hope it gives the upper bremer and warrill creek a wide berth or my local will be out of action for another couple of weeks or more. I would be keen on that trip as well

Where do you guys fish at Maroon and what do you usually use. I've heard that really light jig heads with small soft plastics over the southern weed beds are good?

Nice one T, always good to fish new waters and come up with the goods.

Will have to do a trip out to Maroon one time. That place is bloody magic.

Congratz on finding that creek mate (:

I'm currently in search of a local creek, but I'm not having much luck. Does the creek you are fishing at run straight into the Bremer, or is it pretty fresh water?

Yes this creek does run directly into the tidal part of the bremer . Although it gets fairly shallow and narrow downstream of where I am fishing .I haven't seen any tidal movement there yet but when it was up the other day it would have had a good amount of water flowing into the bremer alowing fish to move from hole to hole.

Awesome. Hopefully with these recent water rises, bass have headed upstream in a few of these Brisbane/Ipswich streams.

Congratz on finding that creek mate (:

I'm currently in search of a local creek, but I'm not having much luck. Does the creek you are fishing at run straight into the Bremer, or is it pretty fresh water?

Yes this creek does run directly into the tidal part of the bremer . Although it gets fairly shallow and narrow downstream of where I am fishing .I haven't seen any tidal movement there yet but when it was up the other day it would have had a good amount of water flowing into the bremer alowing fish to move from hole to hole.

Archived