Hot floor in the Triton

Seiran

Hi guys

I'm hoping one of you car minded AFO members might be able to help me with this one.

The floor just under the front left of my drivers seat in my 2000 MK Triton is getting very warm. The side of the arch by my left leg is also getting hot.

It's been getting progressively worse over the past 6 months or so and now it has gotten to the point where I need to leave the aircon blowing down there just so I can drive it without cooking my legs.

I thought it was the cat so I had it replaced a month ago and it still kept getting hot. I had it serviced last week and replaced the plugs and leads and it is still the same. The heat shield is installed.

Do you think it could be the gear box or something?

thanks

Matt

Forgot to mention. I replaced the gear box oil about three months ago. The gearbox does make a little bit of noise changing into third gear, but otherwise I think it is ok.

I didn't change the oil in the transfer case when I did the gearbox (didn't have enough oil at the time). The mechanic did say when they did the service that I needed to change the oil in the transfer case and the rear diff as these were dirty.

No, it was getting hot beforehand. I changed the cat thinking the old one might have been blocked, but it made no difference at all.

I then thought it may have been unburnt fuel burning in the cat which is why I got the car serviced. The mechanic found there was a misfire in one of the cylinders, so he changed the plugs and leads and sorted that, but it hasn't cured the heating issue.

Good idea Homer. I haven't checked for leaks, I'll have a look tomorrow. You'd think they would have picked up leaks when they did the cat though wouldn't you? The cat is right under the drivers seat in a 2000 triton. It does sound like a very good idea though, I'll get under the triton tomorrow and have a look.

I don't have a heater under the seats so I guess I can rule that one out, and it's definitely the floor itself getting hot. The front bolt holding the seat to the floor gets so hot you can't actually leave your finger on the bolt head for too long.

thanks

thanks madmullet. I was thinking about asking some other Triton drivers if they experienced the same problem. I guess you've cleared that up for me.

I'm going to have a look for leaks from the exhaust, and if there aren't any leaks then I'm going to look into getting some of that self adhesive thermal reflective heat shield to stick up between the exhaust and the car floor.

This morning I got under the car and had a good look at the exhaust whilst the car was running. No leaks.

The standard Triton heat shield running above the exhaust pipe is pretty narrow, so I'm thinking it could be due to this. I'm going to get some of that reflective heat shield to see if that fixes the problem.

also you can use that heat wrap fabric

i would never use that again , it stays wet and with the exhaust heat it rusts the pipe pretty quik .

Had a set of extractors on the torana pitted within 4 mths using that crap

you were not using the right stuff and did you leave your car in the rain with bonnet open and never get it to running temp.?

This morning I got under the car and had a good look at the exhaust whilst the car was running. No leaks.

The standard Triton heat shield running above the exhaust pipe is pretty narrow, so I'm thinking it could be due to this. I'm going to get some of that reflective heat shield to see if that fixes the problem.

i have never actually got under the car to look at mine, so it will be good to know if it fixes the problem.

also you can use that heat wrap fabric

i would never use that again , it stays wet and with the exhaust heat it rusts the pipe pretty quik .

Had a set of extractors on the torana pitted within 4 mths using that crap

you were not using the right stuff and did you leave your car in the rain with bonnet open and never get it to running temp.?

No it was on a small block chev in a LH , it was the Thermal heat wrap like a fiberglass sort of bandage , it got wet from driving in the rain and washing the engine bay out after a oil pressure line blew . it was put on as the engine bay temp was high from the pipes

similar to this
/>http://www.thermalvelocity.com.au/Exhaust-Wraps-/Heat-Cleaned-Wrap/p-105-410/

Archived