Boonaroo fishing trip

Zoob

A small group of mates and I are heading up to Boonaroo (just north of Poona @ lower end of the sandy straights), later in the month for a boys long weekend.

I haven't fished there for over 25 years, so any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Craig

good old boonaroo i go every year for the boonaroo classic. at the end of july. depending on your boat i suggest heading over to a place called "garry's anchorage" u will see it on any map. its got great coffee rock and some great sunken trees. get good reef fish and everything else. i have cuaght up to 20kg cod on live parrot. the secret is live bait espically mullet.

They've put in a new ramp at Tuan, which is just around a bit, south, of Boonooroo. You can go up the creek if it's windy or if it's quiet, go out through the channel which is well marked to the Sputnik, which is the start of the Sandy Strait. Should be some winteries around this time of the year, in the channel and on the flats. Live bait can be hard to get for sure as it is around a lot of that part of the world. Yabbies can be dug either side of the channel out. Might be some pelagics out past sputnik. If you head north and east from sputnik you'll hit Fraser. GOod coffee rock ledge along the edge at Fig Tree and Garrys Anchorage.

Thanks for the info guys.

Am hoping to get up around Gary's anchorage & drift thwestern side of Fraser.

I once knew where there was a big Cod hole, hope to find it again, if not I'm sure we will get some action.

Will put up a report when I get back & put up some photo's up, when I work out how to do it.

Cheers

Craig

Archived