Land based fishing

nannah

hi guys

Haven't been here for awhile - my husband goes on holidays next friday for 2 weeks and at some time I would like to go fishing - we live out Ipswich way and unfortunately we don't have a boat anymore - so any suggestions on the best places to go - I need to be able to sit or use my mobility scooter - and what bait is best - I don't mind what I catch - usually it is bream, whiting, flathead (if anything :( ) - the usual estuary kind of fish - I do have some plastics - but haven't had much experience with them yet.

If you don't mind the drive give the park on chevron Island on the gold coast you can access the area wihth a short walk drive.It's on the western side of the Island and you should be able to buy live yabbies or worms from 1 of the tackle shops down the coast.

Good luck and hope you guys have fun and you may even catch a feed

The jetty at wellington point is very accessible. Try this google maps streetview link to see the ease of access from the carpark.
/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Wellington+Point,+Queensland&hl=en&ll=-27.466022,153.24113&spn=0.003617,0.007591&sll=-27.40739,153.002859&sspn=1.853029,3.886414&oq=wellin&t=h&hnear=Wellington+Point+Queensland&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-27.466129,153.241123&panoid=liXEl8_YsgsBGLzKhsshgg&cbp=12,94.34,,0,6.17

I have caught bream and estuary cod there. I have seen other catch flathead also.

To the left of the jetty along the northern edges you can catch whiting from the footpath (probably best to go in the high tide for ease of casting).

The cafe in the car park also sells bait.

Good luck

The jetty at wellington point is very accessible. Try this google maps streetview link to see the ease of access from the carpark.
/>http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Wellington+Point,+Queensland&hl=en&ll=-27.466022,153.24113&spn=0.003617,0.007591&sll=-27.40739,153.002859&sspn=1.853029,3.886414&oq=wellin&t=h&hnear=Wellington+Point+Queensland&z=18&layer=c&cbll=-27.466129,153.241123&panoid=liXEl8_YsgsBGLzKhsshgg&cbp=12,94.34,,0,6.17

I have caught bream and estuary cod there. I have seen other catch flathead also.

To the left of the jetty along the northern edges you can catch whiting from the footpath (probably best to go in the high tide for ease of casting).

The cafe in the car park also sells bait.

Good luck

Hows it go in summmer, looking for a new spot because how shorny is closed?

I haven't been there for over a year. So I can't really comment too much. I have seen big schools of hardy head in the warmer months, and once saw a Wobegong shark in a crab pot once. it looked so awkward it was hilarious, it was so big it folded in half to fit in there. They must really like crab bait.

Thank you guys,

I have fished the jetty at Wellington Point before, while my granddaughter played in the park - but didn't catch anything - maybe it would be different this time of year.

Looking at the Tide information - perhaps Wednesday 22nd would be the best time for me - High around Noon - gives me time to get there from Ipswich.

I have heard good reports about the Gold Coast - but I don't know if I want to travel that far - I would love to try some of the canals but it is so far to go - might have to leave that till I get proper holidays down there.

Anybody got any thoughts on Jacobs Well or Pimpama area - often wondered about there, but have never been there?? Not quite as far as the Gold Coast :)

What about the Brisbane River - anything happening in the river from about Jindalee to the mouth??

Archived