Maroochy River - Petrie Creek on my new PA12

batman

Hi All

Well, as mentioned I had to go up to Nambour Hospital to see Nan so we stayed up for the night and I launched my new PA12 at the Bli Bli bridge. First impressions it is a wonderful river with lots of options for flatties/bream and GT's! It was a cold but beautiful morning!

post-2993-144598845711_thumb.jpg

I met up with Ozzie off KFDU and we headed over to the Petrie Creek mouth. We didn't have to wait too long and a school of GT's were busting up and we threw everything at them. They unfortunately were very spooky mainly because there was two blokes in a tinny and they would fire up the two stroke and roar over right on top of the school....surprise nobody was catching them! :dry:

We decided to move away from the loud tinnie and enter the creek mouth, this was a fantastic move, I tied on a brand new strike pro blade and second cast a few hops BANG I was on! Angus you will be glad to know that my Jaeger/Stradic 1000 on 4lb was like hooking a monster off the great barrier reef. Man, I could catch them all day, you can keep flatties, bream just give me them all day!

post-2993-144598845722_thumb.jpg

post-2993-144598845726_thumb.jpg

post-2993-144598845731_thumb.jpg

We ventured upstream and the water got really shallow, by standing up in the PA12 and with the help of my spotters sunnies I could site cast for bream and there were a few about. I have to give a massive rap to Ecogear plastics the white prawns were a hit with the local bream population and I caught about a half a dozen. On the way home I drifted the sand banks and picked up a few small undersized flatties using the same blade.

A couple of first impressions about the new Hobie Pro Angler 12, just in case anyone is thinking of forking out for one.

Pro's

- Its super stable and standing up site casting is a dream.

- Its very roomy compared to my Revo its a nice sensation that you are not cluttered.

- Rod storage system is fantastic and its nice to knwo that your expensive rods are not going to fall over board.

- The seat is truly sensational, sitting in my revo for three hours used to give me a numb bum and a soar back, you can sit in this thing all day!

- You don't notice the weight once on the water and its quite maneuverable.

- The tackle box storage system is fantastic - I have never been this organised!

Cons

- Yes she is heavy! Cruising canals, the bay, rivers and creeks no problem as long as you can launch right on the water. If you are a bush basher chasing bass etc look elsewhere!

- Transporting on top of a 4x4 could be an issue but the Kayak T top loader system works well although expensive. I have a box trailer and it works out nicely for me. It a very wide kayak so sorry Ant, there is no way we are getting your fatty viking on the trailer anymore!

- Storage at home - mmm this could be a tricky one and I am going to have to rig up a sling, hoist system in the garage.

- Steering could be a bit better for my mind and because it has higher sides you do feel the wind hitting the yak a bit more than the Revo I had. Counter steering against the wind was a bit tricky sometimes.

Like anything, it is a tool that does a certain job! I don't want a tinnie, I love the stealth of a yak and this new Hobie hits the mark for me.

Cheers

Bryan

I agree, I launched mine on Saturday for the first time and I'm stoked with it, comfortable, and well orginised unit.

I have the same prob loading onto my hilux with a sprint canopy and although the t loader is great, doesn't really suit my car and canopy.

Gave the legs a bit of a work out and terrible if your around shallow water but as you said has a job and does it well.

If your ever up for a straggler gimme a yell, I'm keen as to get minnie out more, compared to the Last yak I had this is a dream to use.

Angus

I am glad SurfingAnt put me on to the Nordic Jaeger, I never really caught bream before and now I know why.....feeling. The Jaeger really does transmit every nibble you get through the rod to your hand. For Bream, Flatties, small GT's and my beloved Bass its a wonderful balanced outfit.

I am still a bit nervous about what happens if I hook up0 to a angry Jack or a large Jew fish will it cope?! I bloody hope so! Offshore Longtails....not so much.

Pretty stoked with the Hobie too!

Jaryd

A few weeks back now I was flicking for Snapper/Squire around Brays rock, I let an Ecogear plastic whaft in the water and I put my Nordic in the rod holder whilst I tied on a new leader to my heavier gear.

A longtail grabbed the lure and all of a sudden my little Stradic 1000 had a heart attack!! ten minutes latter the Tuna turned and raced directly under my yak I dove my Nordic into the water snap the line and 4 inches of rod snapped off!

I wont be taking a Nordic knife to a gunfight again!!! Luckily they sell top half's so I replaced the top half..... just love the outfit......

Jaryd

A few weeks back now I was flicking for Snapper/Squire around Brays rock, I let an Ecogear plastic whaft in the water and I put my Nordic in the rod holder whilst I tied on a new leader to my heavier gear.

A longtail grabbed the lure and all of a sudden my little Stradic 1000 had a heart attack!! ten minutes latter the Tuna turned and raced directly under my yak I dove my Nordic into the water snap the line and 4 inches of rod snapped off!

I wont be taking a Nordic knife to a gunfight again!!! Luckily they sell top half's so I replaced the top half..... just love the outfit......

Jesus, Although i was refering to Jacks and Jew not the longies ;) It would be pretty awesome to land a longie on a nordic tho! :woohoo:

Aahahah I know! my heart was in my mouth and my poor little 1000 Stradic needs the drag replaced already!

I was so beside myself from breaking my brand new Nordic I had to call Angus on the way back from Caloundra blubbing like a little girl. :P Thank goodness they sell top half's!!

Flicking that rod is just such a pleasure! I was using a Starlo Stix Tournament Pro 2-4lb and compared to the Nordic its a broom handle. I will save for another Nordic to replace the Starlo as I have a new 2500 Stradic on that too. How good are Stradic's for the price!

Angus

I am glad SurfingAnt put me on to the Nordic Jaeger, I never really caught bream before and now I know why.....feeling. The Jaeger really does transmit every nibble you get through the rod to your hand. For Bream, Flatties, small GT's and my beloved Bass its a wonderful balanced outfit.

I am still a bit nervous about what happens if I hook up0 to a angry Jack or a large Jew fish will it cope?! I bloody hope so! Offshore Longtails....not so much.

Pretty stoked with the Hobie too!

Ask scopes about Jewies and Threaddies on the Jaeger. He has nailed a few. :)

Longtails... Not so much haha. That is what our next range will cover.

Stoked you like it though!

Angus

Hi All

- Storage at home - mmm this could be a tricky one and I am going to have to rig up a sling, hoist system in the garage.

Bryan

i went to supercheap and for $19.95 i brought a panel rack and sit my yak on that, its up off the floor, and high enough to fiddle with putting on more accesories and easier to wash down afterwards.

Hi All

Bryan

i went to supercheap and for $19.95 i brought a panel rack and sit my yak on that, its up off the floor, and high enough to fiddle with putting on more accesories and easier to wash down afterwards.

Mate!

Can you post some pics?

The majority of the time if you are breaking rods you are using them wrong.

Terry - Dually noted and thanks for the profound quote! :P

I have busted three rods.

1. my girlfriends Berkley drop shot..... slammed the tip in the door of the car! doh! boy I copped it for that!

2. A Shimano Raider - got snagged and demanded I get my blade back off a snag, too heavy handed and too tight a drag saw me snap the tip off faster than Steve Hooker snaps a pole vaulting pole!

3. The said Nordic Stage - you are right! Too tight a drag and a longtail that caught me out and the result.....doh!

[attachment=54800]photo_2012-08-27.JPG[/attachment]

Mate that is an awesome stand and so bloody cheap!!! however I really need the garage space so I need to hoist it up out the way, they will be awesome when I clean the yak and get it into position to pop the straps around her to hoist her up. Either way great find!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

The majority of the time if you are breaking rods you are using them wrong.

Terry - Dually noted and thanks for the profound quote! :P

I have busted three rods.

1. my girlfriends Berkley drop shot..... slammed the tip in the door of the car! doh! boy I copped it for that!

2. A Shimano Raider - got snagged and demanded I get my blade back off a snag, too heavy handed and too tight a drag saw me snap the tip off faster than Steve Hooker snaps a pole vaulting pole!

3. The said Nordic Stage - you are right! Too tight a drag and a longtail that caught me out and the result.....doh!

Sorry Brian, I didn't really get to explain anything there did I :unsure: Busy day @ work.

One thing to be careful of in the kayak, particularly for tuna is when they go under the kayak is the risk of highsticking.

If you are tightening drags like that to retrieve lures, I (and others I've seen) usually hold the rod straight so there is no bend in the line and all pressure is on the reel. Line should break well before the reel.

Archived