New Sustain FG (Handle Play)

TIM D

Tim I have had a couple of reels with a minimal amount of movement and never had an issue with their performance. On the breaking gear side of things I often read this forum and wonder how people do it, like rods reels have their limitations, if go over these limitations or don't look after your gear what else can you expect. I have always had a 3500 HD certate for offshore work, which by all meansIs not a heavy reel, have only ever fished 30lb braid, on this reel I have landed multiple GT's between 20-30kg, cobia up to 25kg, kingfish up to 19kg, red bass up to 12kg, longtails up to 13kg etc etc, by no means are these fish easy fish to land. I think some people just need to learn how to fish totheir gears limitations or stop complaining and just buy a deck winch.....

Andrew

have just read a lot of dribble landbased is harder to fish cause the fish run to structure and u need to lock you drag...the boat fisho has it easy cause the fish wont look for structure so u can let it run all it wants...i seriously need to learn to fish the way you blokes do..when i fish no matter where boat,landbased or in the bath tub my drag never get touched once set...no wonder you blokes break so many reels..i guess next time i go floatlining for snapps offshore i will let the snapp run as there going to come to the boat as the buggers wont look for reef to bust me off on...i have been mislead all those years...please fellas give me some more helpfull tips so i can become a better fisho..oh i can give u 1 tip i will never lock my drag fully up and i am sure i will get alot more fish up or in then you blokes....

i am talking about about hooking a thready on bait landbased the only comment i said about a boat was that you can follow it where as on landbased you cant really. you are comparing fishing over reefs for snapper to what i was saying about threadfin and jew that doesn't really make sense when did i mention fishing for snapper??.

Man you fish for a feed you definately dont catch better fish cause you mainly fish offshore straddy, its not that great. When i worked on the charter boat man we would catch much bigger snapper, dollys and wahoo (i dont even think you have caught one of these lol). Look at your gear as well you use like a 5000 reel for 50cm squire the reason you dont need to touch your drag is because you crank them flat stick lol and then they blow they bladder and float up. I chase much different fish species to you so its hard to compare. I only really fish for giant herring, jacks, threadfin, jew and trevally around brisbane.

I agree with Andrew. Use your gear the way it's supposed to be used and you should have no problems. Think about it this way. Would you rather loose a fish every now and then or pay to replace or repair your reels because you have used the reels in the incorrect manner. I know i would rather loose the fish.

Cheers Matty

yer agree with you completely. I killed my sol on one fish a 112 thready. the thing is once you start dealing with threadies upwards of 95 and jew 80 and up you really need to beef your gear up. for rat threadys and jew you can catch them on a jarvis walker if you want. and its hard on forums because some people think fishing once a week is heaps lol and a session is like 6hours. Another thing that has alot has to do with how you fish. like for example you could fish with a CRAP reel live baiting and you would probs get away with it. do that with lures and the gears would strip on the first big run or when you have to lock it up to control a fish. for my fishing an advantage/sol/tierra would be lucky to last 2 weeks in winter. these reels arent designed to catch big fish. I have pulled everyone of the reels i have mentioned and internally daiwa mid end range is pathetic, there is not much there and heaps of plastic parts. the reason that they are somewhat popular is because people in australia are heaps gullible, people see people tournament fishing and go holy crap they must be good the pros use them but what they dont tell you is they pay 40% of retail so a sol for a $100 is a good deal lol. most people dont fish that much and dont really catch many serious fish regularly, so hence they last when really they are pretty dirt. you should always look at the japanese and american markets sols/tierras/advantage arent popular anywhere other than australia, that says ALOT.

It dosent matter either daiwa or shimano will feel diff after loading up on a tuff fish

The diff is that daiwa out of the box feels smooth and sweet for a limited time load up once on a heavy fish and it will feel considerably rougher then new. Take it botttom bashing it will do the same.

Shimano reels lower end to high end reels seem to feel like out of the box longer and keep cranking no problem.

Any of shimano running carbon drag reels will go forever bar ci4 bodied reels

I have a stella sw8000 loaded up with 85lb braid hooked up on a bloody big shark gave the reel a good run and i'd admit it has a tiny bit handle play now but its still smooth as on a load and no whirring roughness or crunching. I think its quite normal to have a tiny bit of play in handle.

A friend of mine has a saltiga 4500 s extreme and has only landed a few threadys on it then developed a knocking on bottom of rotation( has happened to all daiwas i've owned bar my infinty certate)sent to daiwa havent seen it since.

We had a exist hyper branzino straight out of box , tighten up drag pulled off some line see how tuff drag was it pooped itself lol. I garentee you a stella wont do that. I would put money on it a that any shimano reel will out last a daiwa in same price bracket bar shimano c14 gear.

I know ppl gonna give me shit when i say this but i have a 2011 twinpower 3000 spooled with 50lb berkly whiplash on a 1-3 nitro and have caught some big suckers on it locked drag. Including the 65cm jack from the sea way and the reel still sweet

Yeah all i do is bait no lures I like to run a tight drag and boat the fish thats how i do

I give my reels a hard time and have been through a heap i know what shane darcy and the other boys are getting at.

Read this

Full strip down of saltiga and stella by alan hawk

/>http://www.stripersonline.com/t/647666/shimano-stella-sw-the-review

/>http://www.stripersonline.com/t/768370/daiwa-saltiga-2010-the-review

Lol at all the posts i thought this thread was about a bloke having dramas with a reel haha at im the best fisherman i know how to fish best ppl :) lol Guys just enjoy

hey darcy you ever seen a 28 kilo kingfish mate i have i have caught 1 myelf 8 weeks ago off the goldie,best snapper is 9.6 kilo 4 weeks ago of moreton on that 5000 stradic on a 5kg rod,best jew was 17.5 kilo easter in brissy river but i dont catch big fish..get you facts right mate i dont post these as you get hammered by idiots who dont catch fish of this size and who lock there drags up tight and loose fish. i prob do more bay river stuff than alot on here know...oh my biggest mackeral was caught in the bay not long ago and it went 19 kilo as for the wahoo u are right i havnt caught 1 of those..biggest dollie i caught was in fiji 1.3mtrs long.biggest shark beside the boat was around 5 mtrs on 80lb braid 100 lb leader in febuary.now let talk bout these little 60cm jew you get landbased.mate what a goose b4 u have a go at the fish i catch maybe you should come out in your boat and watch us play with fish on our gear we dont lock up..

look forward to you following us out and seeing how real fisho's fish.buy the way i sit on 40knts in my boat till i drop lines hope you can keep up

We had a exist hyper branzino straight out of box , tighten up drag pulled off some line see how tuff drag was it pooped itself lol.

oh bro don't say that!!!!... I just bought one... :D

back on topic - A bit of handle play = fine. I've got it now on my stella 1000. It's a bit annoying because it's not perfect, but it's made no difference on what it can catch.

hmm.. think I might lock this one before it gets outta hand.

It's getting off topic and starting to get personal.

Darcy and Rosco - we're all fisherman who love our sport. Each to their own.

Rosco - you've been here long enough mate. Those who have been around long enough know what you catch bud :)

Archived