New Sustain FG (Handle Play)

TIM D

Send it back to shimano.i used to own one when they first came out

Its a good reel for plastics and lures. I wouldbt fish bait with it. Youl ruin the gears on a big fish

Shane

G'day Shane, the reel is going on my new 5-9kg T Curve and is going to be spooled with 15lb braid. It's my lighter offshore plastics combo, as my 4500 Saltiga and Egrell Bear Essentials combo gets heavy after using it for a while.

I emailed Tackle Warehouse saying i was concerned with the handle play, this was there reply...

Tim:

Thanks for your email.

All the Sustains have this play in the handle. Feel free to come in and we can show you and go through it with you.

Tackle Warehouse is a bit of a drive from my place so i might just go to the local BCF and have a look at there Sustains to see if they have handle play.

cheers tim :)

Send it back mate. Deal with Shimano yourself. TW never want to take any responsibility if anything goes wrong. I just buy my lures and plastics from there only. Use Charltons and Fish Head my rods, reels and bling.

Personally i wouldnt buy another Shimano mid range reel again. They have weak drag systems and wobbly with bigger fish. My stradic and sustaim both had same thing. I blew one stradic, shimano replaced me with brand new one.

I would just sell it buy a certate. Daiwa mid range is so much better than Shimano

Shane

if your fishing 15lb this reel will be fine. everyone is dissing the new sustain but the thing i have noticed is it is in the bigger sizes and the ci4 had the same problem in the 4000 (flexing and crap gears). 2 of my mates have the 2500 and 3000 sustain and they have slayed the threadys and jew with them. have seen probably 50+ fish caught on these two reels and they were great. mate got a mad legal jewy on one and it feels better than when he first bought it. Daiwa mid end reels are crap imo my mate had an advantage spin reel and it died after 2 threadies. it was a piece of crap. i killed a mates tierra on a 90* thready. if your getting a daiwa only bother with the oldest luvias or the old certate or buy jdm.

if your fishing 15lb this reel will be fine. everyone is dissing the new sustain but the thing i have noticed is it is in the bigger sizes and the ci4 had the same problem in the 4000 (flexing and crap gears). 2 of my mates have the 2500 and 3000 sustain and they have slayed the threadys and jew with them. have seen probably 50+ fish caught on these two reels and they were great. mate got a mad legal jewy on one and it feels better than when he first bought it. Daiwa mid end reels are crap imo my mate had an advantage spin reel and it died after 2 threadies. it was a piece of crap. i killed a mates tierra on a 90* thready. if your getting a daiwa only bother with the oldest luvias or the old certate or buy jdm.

caught plenty of big threads and nice snapps on my tiera bought it second hand and it was going strong two years later no drag issues only issue i had was it flew out the side of sanggers boat lol

^ can upload the photos man if you dont believe me. you were fishing for them bait lol i use lures its a completely different ball game. Threadies try and bust you off on anything so your gear has to be tuff when you target them specifically on lures. the main gear in both daiwas was completely stripped with no teeth left. the anti reverse shat itself aswell as the drag. If you fished with me i would give your reel a week. if you didnt pull all the hooks at the start because the drag is so pathetic and jerky.

^ can upload the photos man if you dont believe me. you were fishing for them bait lol i use lures its a completely different ball game. Threadies try and bust you off on anything so your gear has to be tuff when you target them specifically on lures. the main gear in both daiwas was completely stripped with no teeth left. the anti reverse shat itself aswell as the drag. If you fished with me i would give your reel a week. if you didnt pull all the hooks at the start because the drag is so pathetic and jerky.

I stripped the gears in my certate hd custon last week on snapper and tuna lol.Aniti reverse shat itself too. Gone back to daiwa for service and new gears. thats why im selling the rcs knob to pay for it lol.

I bought a stella 5000 sw yesterdayz lets see how long this last haha

Im just going to get rid of all my gear and buy high end stuff for now. For the amount of fishing i do. Mid range gear last 2-3 months max.

yer agree with you completely. I killed my sol on one fish a 112 thready. the thing is once you start dealing with threadies upwards of 95 and jew 80 and up you really need to beef your gear up. for rat threadys and jew you can catch them on a jarvis walker if you want. and its hard on forums because some people think fishing once a week is heaps lol and a session is like 6hours. Another thing that has alot has to do with how you fish. like for example you could fish with a CRAP reel live baiting and you would probs get away with it. do that with lures and the gears would strip on the first big run or when you have to lock it up to control a fish. for my fishing an advantage/sol/tierra would be lucky to last 2 weeks in winter. these reels arent designed to catch big fish. I have pulled everyone of the reels i have mentioned and internally daiwa mid end range is pathetic, there is not much there and heaps of plastic parts. the reason that they are somewhat popular is because people in australia are heaps gullible, people see people tournament fishing and go holy crap they must be good the pros use them but what they dont tell you is they pay 40% of retail so a sol for a $100 is a good deal lol. most people dont fish that much and dont really catch many serious fish regularly, so hence they last when really they are pretty dirt. you should always look at the japanese and american markets sols/tierras/advantage arent popular anywhere other than australia, that says ALOT.

yer agree with you completely. I killed my sol on one fish a 112 thready. the thing is once you start dealing with threadies upwards of 95 and jew 80 and up you really need to beef your gear up. for rat threadys and jew you can catch them on a jarvis walker if you want. and its hard on forums because some people think fishing once a week is heaps lol and a session is like 6hours. Another thing that has alot has to do with how you fish. like for example you could fish with a CRAP reel live baiting and you would probs get away with it. do that with lures and the gears would strip on the first big run or when you have to lock it up to control a fish. for my fishing an advantage/sol/tierra would be lucky to last 2 weeks in winter. these reels arent designed to catch big fish. I have pulled everyone of the reels i have mentioned and internally daiwa mid end range is pathetic, there is not much there and heaps of plastic parts. the reason that they are somewhat popular is because most people dont fish that much and dont really catch many serious fish regularly, so hence they last.

Seriously I dunno what you guys do to your reels but I know people who own things like Sol's etc have caught numerous big fish including Barra, Longies and a close to 30kg Cobia on the dam things and the gears aren't getting stripped or such like. If you run the reel with the line class that's intended for it and use the drag accordingly then you should get years of trouble free operation out of it.

Cheers

Mark

yer agree with you completely. I killed my sol on one fish a 112 thready. the thing is once you start dealing with threadies upwards of 95 and jew 80 and up you really need to beef your gear up. for rat threadys and jew you can catch them on a jarvis walker if you want. and its hard on forums because some people think fishing once a week is heaps lol and a session is like 6hours. Another thing that has alot has to do with how you fish. like for example you could fish with a CRAP reel live baiting and you would probs get away with it. do that with lures and the gears would strip on the first big run or when you have to lock it up to control a fish. for my fishing an advantage/sol/tierra would be lucky to last 2 weeks in winter. these reels arent designed to catch big fish. I have pulled everyone of the reels i have mentioned and internally daiwa mid end range is pathetic, there is not much there and heaps of plastic parts. the reason that they are somewhat popular is because most people dont fish that much and dont really catch many serious fish regularly, so hence they last.

Seriously I dunno what you guys do to your reels but I know people who own things like Sol's etc have caught numerous big fish including Barra, Longies and a close to 30kg Cobia on the dam things and the gears aren't getting stripped or such like. If you run the reel with the line class that's intended for it and use the drag accordingly then you should get years of trouble free operation out of it.

Cheers

Mark

I agree with you there Mark,fish the gear as it was designed for and you should get a good life expectancy out of them.

What I am finding quite bizarre here is the comments about how catching a fish on a lure will destroy your reel but catch it on bait and you won't have a problem.

A lot of times when fish are hooked on lures that have treble hooks,the duration of the fight is shortened when the treble pins both the top and bottom jaw shut which heavily restricts the ability of a fish to breathe properly.

On the other hand,fish hooked on a single hook,unless gut hooked will often put up a better fight than a fish with its mouth pinned shut.

I stripped the gears in my certate hd custon last week on snapper and tuna lol.Aniti reverse shat itself too. Gone back to daiwa for service and new gears. thats why im selling the rcs knob to pay for it lol.

I bought a stella 5000 sw yesterdayz lets see how long this last haha

Im just going to get rid of all my gear and buy high end stuff for now. For the amount of fishing i do. Mid range gear last 2-3 months max.

Nah u lock drag n crank handle on huge fish haahaha

I used to own a Egrell Bear S10-H with a Tierra 4000. I took it to Hervey Bay and fished with Bargy and caught around 10-15 longtails all around the 10kg mark and the reel was still fine at the end of the day.

Do you guy's destroying reels just lock the drag and try and keep winding while the fish is pulling drag ???

yeah i know mate.anyting over 70 i dont want to catch anyway.next snapp 80+ i get i will give it to you so you can show your missus what a good fish looks like.... unlike the bait you catch...maybe go out with shane69 and chase mactuna with him..your an expert at catching them..lol..oh and he fishis arties as well sometimes

This doesn't sound good at all. I was looking at getting a Sustain FG 4000 to take up to hinchinbrook and throw plastics at barra/jacks/threadies etc aswell as live bait a little. After reading this I am a bit up in the air. This might be just the reason to splurge on a stella. Let me know how it goes once you've tried it out Tim. If anyone else has a Sustain FG I'd be interested in any feedback.

Cheers

Lol i hate mac tuna. I only chase them when fishing slow. They are a pest like bream lol. I like bonito though.

I only fish artificals in the river and bay. I tend to catch more than i do with bait. Im a bait man offshore. Maybe coz i never being showed how to fish plastics offshore. Everytime i fish plastics i catch those red cod.

Come on Rosco im sure you want to catch a knobby too. They go hard and im sure itl give your stradic good run. I got my last 80 on the stradic. Handled it well. First fish that actually fought lol.

Tim when i fish river for jewies or jacks i tend to lock drag to get them out of structure. I hate losing gear and fish to structure.

The certate stuffed up because of skull dragging tuna in and big snapper. I felt it coming.

I see on your profile it says you like drag racing. How to you fund totally different hobbies at once. Since i bought a boat my 180s being negelected lol. I used to pour money into it before

This doesn't sound good at all. I was looking at getting a Sustain FG 4000 to take up to hinchinbrook and throw plastics at barra/jacks/threadies etc aswell as live bait a little. After reading this I am a bit up in the air. This might be just the reason to splurge on a stella. Let me know how it goes once you've tried it out Tim. If anyone else has a Sustain FG I'd be interested in any feedback.

Cheers

Wait for the new 4000 stella sw to come out. It looks good. Mate have a look at the 4000 biomaster if you want to shimano. I got a 2500, i love it. Fits 200 meters of 10lb braid. Upgraded drag. I use it to fish river for jewies and snapper. Cant fault it yet. Its because its full metal body.

I see on your profile it says you like drag racing. How to you fund totally different hobbies at once. Since i bought a boat my 180s being negelected lol. I used to pour money into it before

Yeah mate i love fishing and modified cars :woohoo:

Few cars i have owned are...

Show car Cordia Turbo that made it into Hot 4's and Qld Street Car magazine.

Supercharged VX Commodore rolling on 20's with a few engine mods.

About 2 weeks ago i bought a series 4 Rx7 with 13b turbo, huge front mount, microtech, full 3 inch exhaust, PWR alloy radiator, pod filter, boost controller, blow off valve. I only kept it a week and decided with a 2 1/2 year old daughter i wasn't going to get time to work on it and ended up selling it.

If your heading out to the Fast Fours and Rotaries Jamboree at Willowbank on the 22nd-23rd September i might see you out there.

got a few in the 80's shane.i dont go out just to target big fish i go for a feed for myself, family and friends..its hard to get trophy fish when you bag out on nice pan sized snapps to 70 odd cm in 45 minutes..bet not to many on here does that nearly every trip out

Yeah i know. You do well, probaly the best bag everytime you go out than anyone i know.

I do chase quantity in the river.If we fish right tides and time we get our bag of squire too in about an hour.

Id be keeping that honey hole of yours as close to yourself as possible.

It was my goal to beat my pb this winter and now its just an addiction to target the bigger snapper.Just the take on them is addictive. Id rather not catch anything all day and get a trophey fish. Thats just me. I fish hard all day for it.

Last trip we didnt have a fish in the box till 2.30. We had hope though lol

Really want to crack the 90 mark now.

hahaha LOL you obviously have never caught any decent threadies/jewies in the river landbased and going by the other comments not many people have. In the river landbased that exactly what you have to do, go hard or you freespool. They are your two options on a big fish because it will get you back into cover unless you stop it. This is what i was saying it depends on how you fish and what you chase.

i never said that fish on lures fight harder than fish caught on bait. If you read what i wrote i am talking about the river. The difference between live baiting in the river is you hook a fish you can be using 500gram line it doesnt matter it wont run you into structure. when you hook a thready on a lure you strike the crap out of it, wheres a thready on live bait you slowly lift your rod. i have caught so many threadies on both techniques and they go so much harder on lures and i reckon it also has to do with the difference in depth you hook fish on lures compared to bait.

This thread is getting completely off topic lol. 1000-3000 sustain are sweet i wouldnt go any higher due to the flex and the gears arent really upgraded enough in the bigger sizes.

Cheers

I have recently purchased a 4000fg sustain and 20lb on it. I felt the little bit of play in the handle when first purchased but it is not noticable when you are fishing. I rate the reel for the price.

Fish the reel to its abilities and it will last. they arent a bad reel IMO

Tim those cars sound nuts mate. Back in my days it was my dream to hav e a rx7 series 8 lol.

Cars were a phase for me. Im kinda over them now. Im over the hassle from police. I have lost my license too Many times. I got a major defected a month ago. Just got it back on the road again. Parting it out so i can sell it stock. Stock type x goes for more than a modified one lol. Im sure once i sell the 180 il miss it.

All my mates are still into their cars and the amount of money and time they spend on it is insane.

My neighbour will probaly be there. His names Derick. Him and his mates play with rotors alot. He himself owns a 9 second white vg commodore ute with a 1J in it. Hes at willobank every wenesday..

hahaha LOL you obviously have never caught any decent threadies/jewies in the river landbased and going by the other comments not many people have. In the river landbased that exactly what you have to do, go hard or you freespool. They are your two options on a big fish because it will get you back into cover unless you stop it. This is what i was saying it depends on how you fish and what you chase.

i never said that fish on lures fight harder than fish caught on bait. If you read what i wrote i am talking about the river. The difference between live baiting in the river is you hook a fish you can be using 500gram line it doesnt matter it wont run you into structure. when you hook a thready on a lure you strike the crap out of it, wheres a thready on live bait you slowly lift your rod. i have caught so many threadies on both techniques and they go so much harder on lures and i reckon it also has to do with the difference in depth you hook fish on lures compared to bait.

This thread is getting completely off topic lol. 1000-3000 sustain are sweet i wouldnt go any higher due to the flex and the gears arent really upgraded enough in the bigger sizes.

I havn't chased Jews in the Brissy River much but I have caught plenty of big jew in the high 60's from other rivers shorebased and plenty up to mid 90's from out of boats so I know all too well how a jew fights both on lures and baits.

like for example you could fish with a CRAP reel live baiting and you would probs get away with it. do that with lures and the gears would strip on the first big run

As I said,a bizarre comment.

mate a 60 jew is tiny in the river and getting a jew in a boat is completely different than landbased man no structure really to worry about you can just sit on top of it. You are right though i should have explained more clearly what i meant. landbased lure fishing you have to lock your drag for some fish so you are running alot more drag. when i hook a thready on bait i strike with much less drag because the fish is highly unlikely to take you into structure compared to a thready caught on the surface 1m away from structure. the more drag you run the higher your chance of stripping gears.

mate a 60 jew is tiny in the river and getting a jew in a boat is completely different than landbased man no structure really to worry about you can just sit on top of it. You are right though i should have explained more clearly what i meant. landbased lure fishing you have to lock your drag for some fish so you are running alot more drag. when i hook a thready on bait i strike with much less drag because the fish is highly unlikely to take you into structure compared to a thready caught on the surface 1m away from structure. the more drag you run the higher your chance of stripping gears.

I am old school and I was talking in pounds and not centimeters.

Your right though,a 60cm jew is only shark bait. :P

have just read a lot of dribble landbased is harder to fish cause the fish run to structure and u need to lock you drag...the boat fisho has it easy cause the fish wont look for structure so u can let it run all it wants...i seriously need to learn to fish the way you blokes do..when i fish no matter where boat,landbased or in the bath tub my drag never get touched once set...no wonder you blokes break so many reels..i guess next time i go floatlining for snapps offshore i will let the snapp run as there going to come to the boat as the buggers wont look for reef to bust me off on...i have been mislead all those years...please fellas give me some more helpfull tips so i can become a better fisho..oh i can give u 1 tip i will never lock my drag fully up and i am sure i will get alot more fish up or in then you blokes....

Archived