Whats a good setup??

havarest

I am a beginner still learning all of the basics... just wondering what are the best setups I dont go to freshwater so not lookin bout that but add if you want always learning.... I am mostly fishing in the bay with live or dead bait but want to try plastics.. All i have is a shimano rod and 6500 bait runner. What are the sorts of line rod reel people use for there activities??? Just seein if i can get a few pointers

From Kmart, you can get a 7\" 2 piece Shimano GTS (Grand Tournament Series) rod for around $50. It is a great rod for whiting and bream and I have caught legal mackerel and snapper on it. Has a nibble tip and is 2-5kg.

I have it matched with a Daiwa Crossfire 2500 reel ($30-50 from Kmart)with 10lb platypus platinum. A great combo that I take nearly every where.

I use a bit of a heavier setup in the bay just incase something big gets on but the gf uses a 3-5kg SSS shimano 2 piece and a 2500 shimano slade with 8lb berkley fireline (pink of course) all for around $130 and she lands 40cm+ squire on that.

get fireline mate (or braid) dont go for mono its sucks balls for plastic fishing trust me i used to do it. the only difference between fireline and mono is you have to tie a double uni knot to join the fireline to your mono....which they provide the instructions for you in the box.

Its well worth the extra $10 or so.

Archived