Need help with line selection

Miller 197

Hey guys!

This is my first post on Brisbane fishing and am glad I joined! :cheer:

We have recently upgraded to a bigger boat allowing us to get out much further in the bay, previously we were restricted and would target small species like bream flathead and whiting on light gear with 6-8 pound line. We are planning on heading over past mud island towards Moreton and trying our luck to target some of the pelagic species like macrel, tuna etc.

Dads got a bunch of rods from his glory days :P which should do the trick for now.. but the line on the reels has had their day.. What weight line/colour would you guys recommend for these species ? And should i spend the money on some braid or will mono do the trick?

Let me know what you guys think!!

Chris.

Braid or mono will depend on the type of reels they are. If they are overhead or spin (egg beater) braid should be fine. If they're a side cast like and Alvey, mono is your only option.

As to what breaking strain line you use, that depends on the size of the reels and what the rods are rated to.

For mackeral and tuna I use 3 or 4000 size reels with 15 to 20lb braid on rods rated 10-20lb.

Using braid for the first time comes with it's hassles, like learning new knots to tie your leaders.

In saying that there is nothing wrong with mono and plenty of people sstill catch plenty of fish with it.

What sort of fishing you wanna do (bait or lures) will also dictate what gear you use.

Just my 2 cents worth, but personally up here...

If we are chasing Macks, we always use mono. This is one instance where stretch in your line is your friend. I hate mono for every other application but only use it for Macks. I learnt the hard way that using braid that has zero stretch often pulled the hooks from the soft flesh around the mackerels jaws. Need the stretch to absorb their dogged runs

Archived