From bream to barra..kinda

ozlad

It has been a while since I posted on here after the big move to Darwin, but I thought I would throw a few pictures up of my maiden voyage in the new boat. Relocating from Brisbane to Darwin, I have been chumping at the bit to get on the water. After finally finding a decent boat that wasn’t over-priced I let it sit in the shed for 7 weeks while I tripped around Europe… Toughest 7 weeks, not having the chance to test the new boat out.

Scouring through the fish finder magazine and resisting the temptation to go to the big named river Mary, Daly & Adelaide I decided to run the boat in a little and get a feel for it in the habour (safer option). To my surprise the very heavily fished harbour was empty and I had a creek all to myself, great.. (really I was thinking I must be in the wrong spot). Placing the boat into a likely mud bank with a number of fish breaking the surface either side of the boat, I’m hit on my first cast.. barra.. nope! A huge bream on a 4†plastic. A fish is a fish and it was a good start, but I wasn’t exactly looking for bream. Four bream later… I got another bream like hit, but this time I leapt from the water at a rate of knots and at least 8 times in the next 5-10minutes (a little blurry). Fishing 15lb mainline and 10lb leader, it was heart in mouth stuff and to make matter worse alone without a landing net. After a few tense moments, I landed my fist NT barra going 78cm! The fish bit hard for 30minutes and I landed more bream and procceded to drop a load of threadfin… very hard to hook. All fish were caught in 50cm of water and most occasions I could see the fish take the lure.

oh and a 18.9cm muddy to top it off all within 3km of the main boat ramp!

post-6013-144598876404_thumb.jpg

post-6013-144598876418_thumb.jpg

post-6013-144598876425_thumb.jpg

post-6013-144598876434_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Ozlad

Argh nice one mate ;) Got to love Darwin.

Have you had a chance to hit the gutters on the side of the Arnhem hwy in Kakadu yet? Give them a crack after it rains.

Me and the missus are moving up to Darwin in January, I'm hanging to get back into the great fishing :woohoo:

Yeah it is very tough being on the water all day and not being able to fish... Very hard to concentrate. The barra put up an epic fight. Can't wait to start jigging the blue water, but that will have to wait until next dry season when the weather is more predictable.

Archived