Brisbane bait grounds

Miller 197

Hey guys,

Over the summer months dad and I are going to try our luck at chasing some pelagics around the bay.. Up untill now we would go to the servo and pick up some frozen bait on the way to the ramp and go fishing but were going to start giving bait jigging a crack.

We usually head out from manly and fish around mud island and over around moreton.. does anyone know any good spots that arent too far out of the way where we can pick up some slimeys/yakkas? And do some brand jigs work better then others ?

Thanks

Chris.

Hey guys,

Over the summer months dad and I are going to try our luck at chasing some pelagics around the bay.. Up untill now we would go to the servo and pick up some frozen bait on the way to the ramp and go fishing but were going to start giving bait jigging a crack.

We usually head out from manly and fish around mud island and over around moreton.. does anyone know any good spots that arent too far out of the way where we can pick up some slimeys/yakkas? And do some brand jigs work better then others ?

Thanks

Chris.

Hi Chris,

If you launch at The Port of Brisbane head out through there and stop at the poop shoots you can jig or as I prefer cast net heaps of live bait usually. The poop shoots are the last bit of Concrete structure on the way out.

We have caught herring, snub nose gar, mullet and prawns here before. They usually hold in close to the wall but if you sound around you will get some of the bait hanging off the wall too.

Make sure you have an air raider or ideally a bait tank. Change the water reguarly if using a bucket with air raider to keep them alive longer. I find the mullet stay alive for ages but the herring can die pretty quickly if you don't change the water.

Hope this helps.

Kane

Chris out in the bay your better off using live yakkas and live pike as mullet and herring don't work as well. The yakkas can be found around the bigger beacons over near Moreton island and the pike can be jigged around most of the shallow reefs off redcliffe and sometimes there are heaps of them around Mud island.

/>http://www.rainbowrunner.ausfish.com.au/Brisbane%20Fishing%20Page.htm

Here is a link to a mate's page that shows how to catch Pike at redcliffe and also shows some of the fish he has scored on the pike.

Hope this helps

cheers tim :)

Hi Kane,

Are the poop shoots on your left as your heading out the brisbane river? Is it best to try fish it on a high tide or can you get up close on low tide aswell?

Thanks for the tip also! we have a bait tank, but no airrator.. so ill just have to keep the water fresh for the buggers.

chris.

Hey tim,

We are often over at the moreton beacons so we will definately try for some yakkas. Are the yakkas best jigged around the top of the water collum or towards the bottom.. or all of the above haha

Holy moley your mate has got his fare share of awesome fish!! good photo collection!

Is there any particular side/spot around mud island that youve found the pike to be holding?

Thanks

chris.

Chris the Yakkas will be around the big beacons at any stage of the tide if they are there. I have found the Pike around the N/W side of Mud Island in around 5-10 metres of water and was catching them on 3" pumkinseed gulps with a 1/8th jighead, bait jigs should work too.

A tip, when your jigging for the yakkas around the beacons, put some tiny bits of pilchard on the jig hooks as it increases the catch rate. Be prepared to lose your bait jigs quite often too as the Mackeral like to destroy them when you hook yakkas.

Glad you like my mates page, he certainly knows how to catch Moreton Bay brutes.

I like no.8 and no.10 size bait jigs for yakkas and have a look for them around any beacon out in the northern bay especially over at moreton island if your heading there anyway try all around each beacon even drifting up to a hundred meters past it you just have to find where they are holding

Awesome! we usually travel out past the N/W side of mud so we will have to stop in and try out luck around there :)

What size hooks would you reccomend for catching yakkas?

Here is a link to a mate's page that shows how to catch Pike at redcliffe and also shows some of the fish he has scored on the pike.

Hope this helps

Not surprising Peter gets some good fish he likes his live and big baits :woohoo: Few years back when he was fairly new down here he latched onto a watson leaping bonito, asked what it was, told him and I said it was good bait so he put a hook in it and sent it back out as a livie. All 1.5 kilo of it. :woohoo:

Hope this helps

Not surprising Peter gets some good fish he likes his live and big baits :woohoo: Few years back when he was fairly new down here he latched onto a watson leaping bonito, asked what it was, told him and I said it was good bait so he put a hook in it and sent it back out as a livie. All 1.5 kilo of it. :woohoo:

Yeah he loves his live Pike too, the bigger the better :lol:

I guess the saying goes "big bait = big fish"

Archived