bribie surf side last 2 weeks

Jordan

went out with terry last weekend but caught nothing

went this weekend and caught nothing.

what am i doing wrong? we saw a fair few tuna last weekend, and the closest we got was terry managing to cast a plastic into a boil. troy and i left saturday night to get there on sunday. this weekend we saw a fair few baitfish early in the morning in the passage which made me think the day would be pretty promising but we saw no tuna all day. the water was pretty dirty which makes me wonder if thats why the tuna wernt around this time, but i was told the rain would fire them up more? troy and i then left bribie wondering if we could find the tuna somewhere else, so we left to try the brissie river mouth. we paddled all the way to the end of the rockwall at fishermens islands, and even to a few beackons beyond that. ofcourse we had no idea how incredibly far we had gone and it was a nightmare paddling back in, especialy considering the fact that we paddled that whole way and not even managed to catch a single fish. can anyone give any advise on snagging a longtail? its one of my 'things to try before i die'. any help would be karma'd ofcourse. troy can add his side of the report as i believe he had quite and interesting night.

jordan

Jordan,

Get used to being frustrated by Moreton Bay longtails, they are the most difficult population of this species of tuna to catch.

If you are having trouble getting close enough to get plastics into them, try slugs. I get a lot of longtails on 50gm Lazers and 42gm Lazer slugs. The latter is a small profile for the weight and has no curves like the standard Lazers.

With slugs you need to get them moving very fast. Wind as fast as physically possible with at least a 60/6000 size spinning reel.

When the tuna stop breaking they are often still in the area. Sit there and wait to see if they come up again. They sound to round up more bait and push it to the surface.

When fishing plastics or fly a very slow retrieve can work even after the fish stop breaking. A fairly light head to slow the sink rate right down can help. Then of course it becomes a compromise between sink rate and casting distance.

Don't know about rain making them bite better. What turns tuna on is bait! There has been a lot of bait off Bribie in recent weeks, hence the tuna. Maybe the rough weather has driven the bait further offshore?

The longtails off the mouth of the Brissie are usually better in late summer and autumn.

Bribie too usually fires very well from March to May.

Post edited by: Schultzy, at: 2007/08/27 14:26

yeh tezza would be a problem you need a really fast retrieve I have an epix 6000 6.3:1 ratio, and I wind flat chat with it . boys Im going to head out there this Saturday if you want to join me, bring the snapper gear too. the best plan of attack is to fish for the snapper while waiting for a school to come past. trying to chase them is near impossibe. at worst if there are no tuna around we should bag a few squire. if you want any tips on plastics and tackle for the squire just ask.

Lee

Post edited by: pcsolutionman, at: 2007/08/27 18:39

thanks for that shultzy, yea ive got a few very small slugs but are 45 grams so they should be great, i have a sedona 4000 and an exceller i think it is which is also a 4000 but is just as big as alot of 6000 sized reels. last weekend was enough to turn me off fishing for quite a while but ill see how i feel closer to the weekend. once again shultzy thanks for the info, karma your way

Nick,

No, a different style of spinning is needed for tailor. Use chrome coloured slugs rather than painted ones. Same lures otherwise though, 35 to 50gm Lazers.

Cast into the fish, let it sink for a few seconds then wind with a medium retrieve. If the lure bumps the bottom, speed up a little and let it sink less on subsequent casts.

No way. 10/15 knots.

Moreton Bay Waters:

Wednesday until midnight: N/NE winds 10/15 knots, tending N/NW 10 knots in the evening. Seas to 0.7 metres.

Thursday: SW/SE winds 5/10 knots, tending E/NE 10/15 knots in the afternoon. Seas 0.7 metres.

Friday: E/NE 10/15 knots.

Saturday: SE/NE winds 10/15 knots.

Archived