How long do you fish a area with a lure before you move on

arand18

Depends on the type of structure, how big it is and what type of lure I am using. I fish heaps of top water and I would say I usually only cast 5 or 6 times at each bit of structure before moving to the next. Most of the time it is the first cast that gets the interest.

Say like your fishing an old boat ramp with a rock wall on either side and to the left is a marina that is quite close, also no one uses the boat ramp so the fish shouldn't get scared, and your using a soft plastic and a atomic hardz.

thanks

If you're not having much luck, try fishing your lure in a different way. Some fish won't hit a lure that looks like a healthy bait fish but add a few random jerks and stalls to make the lure look injured and the the fish spot an easier meal.

If this doesn't work you can always try a different lure all together. If you have found yourself a good spot, there is probably fish there, you just have to convince them to come out and play.

Land based or on a boat? If it were land based I would go 30 min or so with out a hit before moving. Try and fish it methodically aswell, go back at all different times of day and tide to crack the pattern.

I do 99% of my fishing from a boat so I try to keep moving to find the bite.

I fish from a kayak so I can get really close really easily, the thing I don't get is when I was fishing there I tried with the lures and got nothing but as soon as a put bait on a got good bites and hooked 2 fish but because I was fishing light tackle they ran me into the structure and busted me off, so the fish are there but I cant catch them on a soft plastics or a atomic hardz. I was fishing at shorncliffe and went up the river a bit to a mangrove tree that was hanging in the water I cast my soft plastic as close as I could and got a hit on the first cast but then nothing after that.

Thats the journey of being an angler mate, every trip you will learn something and put another piece in the puzzle.

There are alot more varieties of lures out there than the ones you mentioned, buy some likely looking ones and change it up a bit, eventually you will start putting it all together for that location, thats the joy of fishing...

Land based or on a boat? If it were land based I would go 30 min or so with out a hit before moving. Try and fish it methodically aswell, go back at all different times of day and tide to crack the pattern.

I fish from a kayak so I can get really close really easily, the thing I don't get is when I was fishing there I tried with the lures and got nothing but as soon as a put bait on a got good bites and hooked 2 fish but because I was fishing light tackle they ran me into the structure and busted me off, so the fish are there but I cant catch them on a soft plastics or a atomic hardz. I was fishing at shorncliffe and went up the river a bit to a mangrove tree that was hanging in the water I cast my soft plastic as close as I could and got a hit on the first cast but then nothing after that.

Try and match the bait with the lure you using. Even drop a bait net in and see what small fish, shrimp etc are around and try to choose a lure to mimic. One of the creeks I fish has heaps of good size guppies so I use this one alot and it does well.. looks simmilar to the green in the guppies.

2hp0r6b.jpg

What sort of bait were you using?

perseverance sometimes too..... i know ive thrown a lure around the same pond for at least 30 min with no luck then all of a sudden ive caught a fish......i think i left it there sittin long enough for the fish to hit it......but after that they tend to realise hey its got bloody hooks . wont be eatin that again hehehehe off to the next pond and start again.......but then also drifting past spots is a good idea too , you find out where the fish are holed up so you turn around and drift past it again.......but its trial and error so get out amongst it and like someone else said , see if you can work out a pattern.....good luck

Depends on if the person next to me smells :)

Really though, If I am in the boat and deep water fishing I anchor up on a structure. If I am in the estuary I tend to drift to cover more area, however If I come across a bait ball I might be tempted to anchor. As for the jetties, I generally go down only for bait (castnetting) and I lie to stay in the same area out of courtesy of other fisher people.

Archived