3-1-boat(0) offshore trolling

mattza13

Just a quick one,

Headed offshore the cape this morning trolling with my little brother and a back up mate as my normal fishing mate (and boat owner) wasnt able to make it at the last minute. called past the beacons on the way out for a little schoolie (at least it was something to put in the esky) then headed up hutchies and didnt turn a reel on all the normal haunts up that way that have been producing for me and my mates.

With a bit of chatter of Marlin down around the cape i decided to head down that way with a full spread of skirts. Plenty of bait around but the fish were very scarce. A few fished were raised but weren't eating anything. All hopes were lost but continued trolling the area. After a few hours the short corner pakula (cheers lance) burst to life with 8kg screaming off the reel. My mate got the rod out of the holder quickly and start the fight, much to my disgust (plan was always for my lil bro to have first hookup of the day)

After a few quick airborne displays he headed for the horizon. All lures were cleared and the back down began. By this time we had 200m of line out and nearby boats cleared out of the way. Big Business came past and veered away followed by a 6m or so Haines Halfcab fishing solo who decided to stop 100-150m of my starboard stern, very similar direction to the fish. After a verbal rant plus on the radio he got the idea he motored away and ting. fish gone....

I was fuming. Annoyed would be an understatement. :angry:

Convientiently the offending boat left very quickly. We continued to troll south as i needed to get away from the other boats to regain some sanity. Upon returning from my venting i did manage two more stikes but not hookups and decided at 200 odd ks it was time to call it a day.

Still a good day on the water, fingers crossed i can get my first marlin soon. got my best mate, and fishing buddy one last weekend onboard my old mans boat, and now hooked another mate to a solid fish, it has to be my turn soon. Then to top it off when i got home and checked another fishing forum the offending boat posted a report on how good his day was :angry:

But all is good, theres always more fish in the sea and plenty more trips to catch them ;)

Shame about that brand new Pakula Matt but atleast it did have a marlin on it. :P:P:P

That color has been so hot this season too.

Better luck next time mate.

haha every time someone says that lance it makes me think of this

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhc6CRgwkqg

Mattza I feel your pain - I had the same issue with a boat up the cape when the young fella was onto a longie. Boat just drove up and parked over his line.

lol,thanks Ted :P

Hey Matt did you rig the hook in that Pakula like I suggested.

Really cant remember tbh, i have done taht much reading and talking to people its hard to know where i picked up what lol.

It was rigged with a pair of Mustard 7766D with about a 60degree angle difference (accidental but i do remember about reading about it) on 1.6mm ss wire with heat shrink, 200lb jinki. I guess it just means i have to replace it again ;)

Archived