Eletric motor battery

Cobiaaddict

Hey guys,

I have had 2 x 115ah trojan batteries die on me in the past 2 years running my minn kota 55lb ipilot bow mount, with each battery lasting me 12 months each time, i keep them well looked after and use a quality CTEK charger with a recond funtion ect,

Just curious to what everybpdy else uses out there

Cheer

Josh ><>

i have a 630 cca , 97 ah exide batt. as my second to run my watersnake 54lb and 5m of led lights..... i found it loses power after 2 hrs of constant ( thats how long it would go for ) use of the leccy...about to put a VSR in the mix so i dont have any issues.........and if your batteries are only lasting 12mths then i would be chattin with where you bought them if the min kota is the only thing you're running....batteries should last longer than that especially with a decent charger and they werent completely flat! jmo !

hay m8 what model of ctek charger u have????

hay m8 the reason i ask is i work for a forklift company (BIG ONE) and we use a s**T load of batterys and i can get a forklift to run on those batterys for 5 hours before they are in need of a charge drawing 8.8 to 75 amps out of them ....

hay m8 what model of ctek charger u have????

hay m8 the reason i ask is i work for a forklift company (BIG ONE) and we use a s**T load of batterys and i can get a forklift to run on those batterys for 5 hours before they are in need of a charge drawing 8.8 to 75 amps out of them ....

Coughy,

I got a CTEK 15000xs charger. Cost me about $400 a few yrs back

i have a 630 cca , 97 ah exide batt. as my second to run my watersnake 54lb and 5m of led lights..... i found it loses power after 2 hrs of constant ( thats how long it would go for ) use of the leccy...about to put a VSR in the mix so i dont have any issues.........and if your batteries are only lasting 12mths then i would be chattin with where you bought them if the min kota is the only thing you're running....batteries should last longer than that especially with a decent charger and they werent completely flat! jmo !

This battery is a warranty job from trojan.

Will find out Monday when I ring qld manager for a please explain ...

Cheers

from what im reading it is a 15amp charger??

the wons we use at work are a 28amp charge and take 8-10 hours to charge from flat state..

but or batterys are a 175 amp hour..

so im thinking that your 15 amp might not be enought to excide the battery properly..

that is with out looking at it...

just my input m8..

the wons we use at work are a 28amp charge and take 8-10 hours to charge from flat state..

so im thinking that your 15 amp might not be enought to excide the battery properly..

just my input m8..

You could very well be right mate,

Can't remember the ratio but I'm pretty sure the guys from trojan recommended something charging at 10% of the battery amperage... Or something like that... Will be ringing the qld manager at Trojan tomoz morning and letting him know the problems

Hey mate I use to work for these guys and we (manager) and I would always recommend more along the lines of 15% capasaty of the battery so with a 115 amp battery a 15 and charger would do the job nicly to me it sounds like you batteries are sulfated,basicly batteries sitting to long between charge.With the see tech charger I leave my batteries on charge all the time as these chargers WON'T over charge your batteries,Do you charge your batteries after every use as any delay can start sulfaution even a small amount will effect your batteries.

Good luck with the boys I can tell you you won't get any BS from them.

Hey mate I use to work for these guys and we (manager) and I would always recommend more along the lines of 15% capasaty of the battery so with a 115 amp battery a 15 and charger would do the job nicly to me it sounds like you batteries are sulfated,basicly batteries sitting to long between charge.With the see tech charger I leave my batteries on charge all the time as these chargers WON'T over charge your batteries,Do you charge your batteries after every use as any delay can start sulfaution even a small amount will effect your batteries.

Good luck with the boys I can tell you you won't get any BS from them.

Hey Mate,

Battery Never sat uncharged For longer tha a day or 2 after use,

and it always was left on charge with teh CTEK Running , I have had my Minn kota Serviced By BLA also checking Voltage ect ,

I never had any problems With Trojan with my last battery, the Guys where happy to replace it , The Service they gave me last Time Was Fantastic, as i had a new battery with in a 2-3 day turnaround and it was delviered to my house Free Of charge and gave me a heap of good usefull Info,

Maybe Just a littel Unlucky, The BAttery Does Sit at the Front of my tinny, So maybe the Chop Pounding through the hull is Taking its life span Dramtically

Cheers

Josh

bingo theres ya problem ;) the damage is more than likley being done when boat is on trailer and during transit on our well mantained :dry: :whistle: goat tracks for roads.

you can add a chain wth a turn buckle from the winch point on the boat at the bow down to the chassis of the trailer. by tightening the turn buckle it will pull the boat down on the winch post and will illiminate the thwack noise from the bow bouncing on the winch post during transit.

the springs on th trailer could be to heavy as well. if you were to stand on the gaurd of the trailer and there is no movment in the spring your springs are to heavy. You should be able to add your wieght to one side of the trailer and get at least 10mm movment,if you get movment but the springs over ride your wieght and still ride at the original ride hieght there still to heavy.

I also found that by runing the tyres a little lower presure improves the ride.

bingo theres ya problem ;) the damage is more than likley being done when boat is on trailer and during transit on our well mantained :dry: :whistle: goat tracks for roads.

you can add a chain wth a turn buckle from the winch point on the boat at the bow down to the chassis of the trailer. by tightening the turn buckle it will pull the boat down on the winch post and will illiminate the thwack noise from the bow bouncing on the winch post during transit.

the springs on th trailer could be to heavy as well. if you were to stand on the gaurd of the trailer and there is no movment in the spring your springs are to heavy. You should be able to add your wieght to one side of the trailer and get at least 10mm movment,if you get movment but the springs over ride your wieght and still ride at the original ride hieght there still to heavy.

I also found that by runing the tyres a little lower presure improves the ride.

Thank Mate,

Will look into the Trailer Set Up also,

THink Travelling in Moreton Bay is the main contributor,

My battery has Never been run below 1/4 charge, It generally only gets used for 2-3hr Session at most , then by that arvo or next morning is back on charge til my next trip

Just waiting on Trojan To Call Me back , Seems they maybe offering me something that may suit my needs in the terms of a Durable Marine Battery,

Cheers Guys for the Help and Good Info

Josh

just my input m8..

If your ever upgrading those 175 ah batteries Id be interested ;)

I have gone an AGM deep cycle and the battery is as far towards the bow as possible. It cops a pounding when we head into the bay, etc. Haven't had an issue in 3 years and still going strong, pay a bit more upfront but starting to pay for itself now.

Archived