team five piece feed bribie run

Jordan

was lookin foward to another atempt at a tuna or possibly some squire, so troy and i got up early to arrive at bribie at 5.30. last weekend we got to the beach to see a swell that even surfers wernt game to try, so we were a bit nervous this weekend. luck was with us, as when we got there the waves were lucky to be a foot high. we watched for 10 minutes or so to make sure it wasnt just a small set, but sure enough they stayed very small. so back to the car we went to get the gear and hauled it down to the beach to see a swell slightly larger than before but still managable. we were very gratefull and said a prayer of thanks to the fish gods when all of a sudden at the conclusion of our prayer the swell got larger again. better launch quick i thought, so i went out first. got halway through the break when my worst fears were realised. a mountain of water was growing in size and i calculated that it would break right over my head. never been good at calculations but i sure got this one spot on. the monster broke right on top of me and my kayak flipped. i feared the worst as my rod tips dissapeared. expecting two snapped rods i chased the kayak and did my best to turn it back over only to see they seemed to both be ok. THAT was lucky. the rest of my gear was in my waterproof backpack which i was wearing so nothing was lost. i nervously had a second atempt and made it out. troy was also lucky enough to make it out unscathed.

once we were on our way it became apparent just how big this swell was. it was the first time in all my trips out beyond the shelf and anywhere on the water that i had ever felt sea sick. we went up these mountains of water and sailing back down again. things were not looking good. the water was very off colour so we paddled a few k's offshore to see if we could find some better water and possibly a bust up. again nothing was caught, and to return to the shore we had to anchor the kayaks out past the break and swim our gear to shore to avoid the kayaks tipping and us loosing all our gear. we then tried to make light of the situation and surfed the waves on the kayaks which brought great amusement to ourselves and the many spectators who thought we were on drugs after seeing us return to the surf after many bone crunching dumps.

all in all it was still a better day than going to work and ill look foward to our next session. just quickly though, if i travel further north, say to hervy bay or fraser, have i got a far better chance of encountering tuna or pelagics? as i am prepared to do whatever it takes to boat one of these fish.

jordan

mate you just need a little luck, the waves yesterday were over 1m and the swell around 1.5m, I also didnt get a thing. the dirty water has really put the fish off there. It is almost the end of the Longtail season so im hopeing the water will clear very soon so the bait schools will come back in close and of course the tuna will follow. there really isnt much pooint trying to chase down the tuna, your best off fishing for squire and just hope the tuna show there faces.

Lee

putting in the hard yards:blink: it woulda been a lot easier though to ring me.

i dont think your ready for yesterday story so ill be gentle:laugh: , just me and scotto and a calmish run well out off moreton, current was annoying so my beloved perlies got a reprieve, chased pelagics at the start, heaps of dolfinfish plenty 80cm sorta ones early on, and a school of kingies kept us busy for a while, had about 15 following a lure, then there was a massive bust up of mactuna and bonito, then back inside the current line found some snapper etc...

Archived