Decent Result In The End

Dibbs

Hey guys,

Sorry about the delay in getting the post up, but have had a few internet issues and what not. All sorted.

So as per my previous post I went out on Sea Master Charters last Sunday out of Tweed. The Mrs and I live about an hour and a half south so decided to stay at a motel the night before. Woke up at 4:30am after a few too many beers the night before on only an hour and a half sleep. Quick bite to eat and we hit the road. What was only a 5 min car ride (the Mrs was driving obviously) we were at the docks. The other lads in the party of 10, none of which we had met before (mates of mates) were already there and pottering around the car park. A quick introduction and we got on board. A quick run down by the skipper of what the plan was and we were off by 5:45am.

Beautiful day on the water with no wind, no swell and the bar was as flat as I've seen it in many years. The skipper did a few rounds and marked a few spots before doing a loop and cutting the engine. Lines were dropped (I believe we were using approx 30lb mono).

First drift took a while as the current was very slow and only a few little Red Harrys were caught. Went round again and the sounder was a light with colour but nothing was willing to take the bait. The skipper got on the radio to hear everyone else was struggling as well. We packed up and moved a bit deeper and this time got a few more Red Harrys and a couple of squire.

This continued for the next couple of hours with no one on the radio able to give a good report and us only getting rubbish. A couple of live bait were thrown out but still not much action.

The wind and swell picked up a bit making it pretty much impossible to avoid tangles in the 60m of water so we packed up again with about 2 hours to go and we came back into about 25m of water and drifted over another hole. JACKPOT!!!!!!

The bites increased and the catch rate with it. Several squire, a heap of bannana fish (I think they're called fusiliers or something) and I got myself a decent sized Moses Perch. The highlight of the day over this hole was a little black marlin (approx 20-30kg by sight only)taking one of the live baits. Hit it a couple of times and played with it for a bit before it took the hook and started to run. Unfortunately for us, the kid who's birthday it was and had the honours of the fight got a little flustered and put the breaks on the line snapping the rig off and losing the catch of the day. Still a magical thing to see and got the whole crews heart pumping. Continued pulling in the usual suspects for the next 45 mins and then had to head in for the day.

All in all, it was a great day on the water and would highly recommend checking out Sea Master Charters. Pete the skipper was a good bloke who appeared to give honest feed back and was getting genuinely upset that the catch rate was so low at the start. I'll be back to visit his charter next time with people I actually know so the company aboard is better suited to my tastes.

Sorry no photos guys, they were all taken on a phone and turned out rubbish.

Cheers for reading.

Dibbs

Archived