Rings and hooks - what size for barra?

Feral

Ok,

going through my lures for Awoonga, I reckon about half of them need new rings and hooks to be able to handle the big barra.

I've tracked down what types of hooks and rings I am going to get, Mo Tackle seem to have them reasonably priced, so probably go with them again, local shops dont have them in big packs.

HOwever I have never bought them separately before (for big lures) I have no idea what sizes I need.

Anyone got any suggestions?

These are the rings
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1142

Theses are the hooks
/>http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=574

They are supposed to be the 3x, they have the 6x for about same price, but they reckon the extra weight might change the lure action.

I've only replaced trebles on little 50mm minnows before. Main thing is I have not got a clue what size treble and ring I need for a 150 - 1200mm lure!

Andrew,

As a general rule of thumb stick with trebles of about the same size as they wear from the factory but increase the shank thickness. ie Go to a 4X or even 6X.

Most of my barra lures carry three 4X size 2 trebles.

Sometimes I change to two only (leaving the middle hook hanger vacant) 2/0 4X VMC trebles.

I've tried fitting lures with big single hooks (6/0) and have still had monster barra open them enough to escape. Some fish will escape no matter what! That's just barra fishing.

Many moons ago at Tinaroo I tried a pair of huge double hooks on some of my Vipers. Trouble was on standard barra gear I couldn't sink the things past the barbs before the barra were in the air with the lure flying back at me.

Thanks fella's, I am leaning towards buying a couple of packets of the size 2 -6x trebles, and a couple of packets of 60lb rings.

I've got about 20 odd lures I reckon I will change the hooks on. ranging from 150 to 200mm in length. Th ehooks mostly look about the same size, some are rusty, some are just thin looking.

Archived