Snapper bash this Easter

Aquaholic

So having not planned to go anywhere for Easter, my wife and I decided that the best form of relaxation was to not plan anything. I am happy for all you folk out there pitching tents, getting out to enjoy whichever way you can. The good weather seems to have eluded us most other Easter breaks so we decided to write off Easter as too hard . I remember Noosa north shore one time, the sand got in every nook and cranny, even a bowl of custard would have had additional rutile mixed in if you faced into the wind while eating it. Harden up? Yep, each to their own I say! We have both been flat out at work, organizing ourselves around a big trip away seemed too hard, a casual approach to Easter was the name of the game where spontaneous decisions were likely. Roll out of bed at 7am and decide - hey lets go out for a fish!

Just me and my best mate fishing around peel island, boil the kettle for a cuppa, at least 4 times during the morning, the SE wind made that a little difficult at times, but that's the best part of fishing the bay, you can duck around the corner if you want quieter water for a snack and another cuppa. Tried a few places 1st then said if we should go for broke and get out into the open and fish my spot X that I smashed them a couple of weeks ago on placcies. I set myself up for a flogging, instructing on where to cast, what colours to use, 3/8 oz and 4/0 hook, cast slightly ahead etc etc. She listened to everything I said .... unfortunately. Gave her the weapon of choice, my best rod rigged with the smallest line I dare use on big snapper - 6lb FC on 15lb braid.. I sniggered under my breath "this will test her out" and set the drag reasonably light to suit. What followed was another hoot of a day, double hookups, a few big fish lost, a lot of re re-rigging but it just proves the lighter the line, the more hookups you will get. My rod I was using has a 6000 series spooled with 35lb braid I normally use offshore in the shallows. Bit of a mis- match tying 12 lb flurocarbon to it, but still got my fair share of fish. One strike was a blistering zzzzinngg snap, all in about 3 seconds duration that had me wondering if I hooked up to a fighter jet for only that small amount of time. We returned so many fish to the water we lost count after we decided 6 in the esky was enough for our family and friends. I think we had only one or two fish that were under 40cm, all the rest were in the 45-55cm class. We left them biting again, returning home about an hour before sunset.

To have such an amazing fish with your wife is one thing, everything else about today was icing on the cake. I was wondering how many car/ trailer parks would be free one a busy Easter weekend.... and a car reversed out right on Q as I was looking for a park after launching. Thanks mate! Nobody else at the ramp, nobody else fishing my spot... Nobody anchored in my way, used 22 litres of fuel, back home for dinner and two more days off. I hope the Koreans learn to play nicely together, life as I know it after today is almost too good to be true. Happy Easter!

Wife with 55cm snap returned to the water.

WebL_zpsa4abdb56.jpg

Aquaholic

Thanks all for the replies. Good to see there are those who are like minded and can see why a trip like this is gold as far as I am concerned. Little preparation, small expense, awesome location and the fish occasionally play the game.... I say occasionally, because the same spot X has turned up good fishing like this 2 out of 4 times. That's been the average when I fish it. Mud island turns up bigger fish for me, but it is sometimes a long wait between fish. This spot X did it for me two weekends ago, I fished Solo so could only keep my bag limit, all of these photos are of fish returned. Again, I lost count and tired of getting fish slime on the iphone to take a pic

462fd31e-57db-4b03-811a-251a0d9c8bb5_zpsc78f5acc.jpg

573e4e9b-762b-4d2b-835f-af1b6ca8b316_zps046a91de.jpg

my58_zps0dbc9d39.jpg

1a7f847e-4b67-4372-b181-4cf8471f0a8a_zpsc398a41b.jpg

Aquaholic

Archived