Visiting a few southern bay locals – Moreton Bay report!

Runty66

Think this was some sort of record as it had been far too long since I last fished the bay! Had a few plans to fish beacons and the likes around the northern bay but as the weather changed so did the plans and I set off early Sunday morning with Ned (Fischer) to fish the southern bay which I’m becoming to love.

Keen to get into some bigger fish, we fished a bit deeper to start off until my blood started flowing and AGAIN I found myself chucking OSP bent minnows around the shallows for bream. While I was doing this, Ned was chucking Ecogear Px45’s.

It wasn’t long until the fish hit the boat and when they did it was in numbers and size! Sight casting a few bream in less than 80 cm’s of water is something I love, so we did just that for the first hour and a bit until the sun was too high and they shot off abit deeper.

post-9085-144598943216_thumb.jpg

The end result to the breaming was Ned 2 and myself 11 ( legal’s). This was mainly because of the fact that Ned had a treble stuck in his finger most of the time so of course being the good friends I am kept fishing to keep him up the date on what he was missing :whistle: .

post-9085-144598943227_thumb.jpg

post-9085-144598943235_thumb.jpg

As the bite slowed down so did the excitement until I got a good nibble. This was a very good nibble indeed as my reel starts screaming off in the shallow stuff. A few intense moments and we finally netted this very healthy 35 fork bream.

post-9085-144598943241_thumb.jpg

Easily over a kega we got some pics with his mates then sent them off. Bringing the bag to 35, 33, 30, 30 and 29 fork.

post-9085-144598943248_thumb.jpg

After that we set off to some deeper reef area where we came across a wicked looking drop off.. Fished here for a bit and bagged out on snapper, 36- 45 all taken on 3.75icnh Zman SteakZ matched on a 1/4th 3/0 HeadLocks ( deadly combo)! . Not massive fish but awesome fun on the light stuff..

Got bricked a few times of course but you gotta risky it for the biscuit! . Just before we left I saw a small bust up followed by some macs crunching bait on the surface. Ned’s first cast in there sees himself hook up to a very solid fish ( thinking 70 ish cm Mac tuna ) but just as I was about to have a cast it spat the hooks ïŒ I managed to land a PB dart from below this school however, which was really cool, also good fun. He went 60 on the dot and is the biggest I’ve seen.

post-9085-144598943255_thumb.jpg

We Left after a bit of a dead patch to try around the bar looking for tuna, nothing in sight so after a quick flick I hooked up to two flattys falling to the same Zman StreakZ .

Long story short we set back in hope for tuna but again didn't see a thing. Landed some more legal squire to get the telly to over 10 for myself. Ned Hooked up to some good fish at the last spot but getting bricked then straighten hooks saw them swimming off again.

‘twas an awesome day on the bay, good to get out there again for a full days fishing.

Stand out lures were by FAR was the Zman Streakz in baby bass.

Thanks Ned For the good company! Great to catch up again.

Here are some more photos..

Cheers, Runty :side:

Great report and pics Runty. Roughly what depth were those squire caught in if you don't mind me asking. Assuming from the photos they weren't caught very early morning so am interesting to know if they were still caught in the 'shallows' (ie. less than about 3m of water).

Yeah most were caught about midday.

I was fishing 2m - 6m drop offs, fishing reef edges.

It was a pretty cool spot with loads of reef.

I was just casting into the shallow side and slowly hoping the Zman steakZ on a 1/4th jighead onto the deep side on it, always keeping contact with the lure so i was just working it above the structure not getting snagged and so that when i hooked a fish i could get it out quick.

Archived