Bribie - pretty quiet

Tim a

Hey all afo champs.

Holidays started on Wednesday arvo so parents headed up to Bribie for a few days with my Brother thats back from Africa for a few days.

The fishing was fairly quiet and it was rather difficult on the first few days with some crappy weather.

The first 2 days were really quiet with just a few undersize flatties coming on gulp shrimp. Hired a boat for a few hours on Friday arvo inbetween the wind periods. Got absolutely nothing, we weren't allowed to get close to the racks as there was a guy patrolling them and hour drifting was too fast, I still learnt a good bit about boats tho.

This brings me to this morning, as always on the last day got up early (well actually I got up early all the mornings), and headed out trying to use all my skills that I've picked up from around the place (alot from AFO) and some local knowledge to pick a few fish before we had to leave at 10 a.m. Hit up the lock and a close spot for another small Flattie then noticed a few small bream lurking around. They were hanging in midwater, I had a think deeply, it was really windy over the last couple of day, theres a few trees around that could hold insects that could have been blown in, they would be around the surface squirming around. So on goes the bubble pop and bam! 4 bream in 10 casts :D They were all just over legal and one woulda been around 27 ish. Small but still, after you go that long with out a good fish you appreciate anything!

Things quietened down so I headed to the jetty insearch of a flattie, there are actually lots there, just no one realizes how to get them. You gotta use the currents and the receeding tide is much better for this. There had been no bait at the jetty the hole time I'd been there so I was pleasently suprised to get a pike first cast, after seeing a flock of them chasing my lure the next cast I gunned it home to get my Live baiting rod and chucked one out live. I got few more pike including some big suckers. I decided to try again for the flattie and the very first cast I tried for them I got a good hit followed by a good fight(flattie standard that is) and up came a good flattie of around 50cm. As I was taking photo's of the flattie my crappy ratchet started screaming. Sorry mr Flattie but You'll have to wait to go back into the water. I grabbed the overhead for 35lb fireline still sizzling through the guides, undid the ratchet and had a strike, set the hooks that the line rate sped up for about 10 seconds before it all went slack. I wound it in and the there was a very fraid 50lb leader. My guess is that it was a shark. I re rigged and sent it out again and had a few big hits but no hook ups. Got loads more pike before heading back and packing up.

So yeah, it was pretty quiet but I'll be back catching double digit amounts of bass until straddie on friday :D gotta love school holidays!

Thanks for reading!

tim

p.s I'm sure theres loads of spelling/grammar errors but I've been up since 4 so that has to be expected!

First ever squid- [img size=341]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/1st_squid.JPG

post-96-144598427099_thumb.jpg

:woohoo: That was a great read, I enjoyed it very much. Thanks mate. Sounds like all the fun was had on the last day. Allways happens like that.

With the drifting being to fast, next time tie a bit of rope to the bucket and throw it in. Works well with a small tinny. Slows the drift down heaps.;)

I look foreward to reading more about you're fishing trips over the holidays.

You seem to know Bribie well, I've never been there, So maybe we should meet up 1 day and go for a fish over there? With you're local knowledge and my tinny we could be in for a chance.:)

Karma to you when I've got some to give.....Well done.B)

Archived