Success at Maroon

Bill_V

Hey Guys,

Been a few months since I have been on here as I have been touring around the USA on my Harley...since I have returned I seem to have lost my fishing mojo and have had quite a few disappointing trips but yesterday finally I got a few fish in my boat.

I went to Camp Lake Fire a couple of weekends ago for a camp with my family in tow and thought I might have a go at catching a bass or two. I had never caught a bass before and was keen to get one. I threw a variety of lures around on the first day with no joy and managed to make my 14 year old Jack Russel x Corgi a bit sea sick. It turns out he isn't a fan of boating like he used to be when he was younger the poor old guy. I spoke to Mick there the next morning and he sold me some live shrimp to have a go with so we set off again for a go. It took a while to find a fish and when we finally did get one undersized bass the kids had had enough so we went in. When I got home I realised I still had nearly 30 live shrimp in my live well so I transferred them to my wife's fish tank full of gold fish. This didn't go down too well and I was then tasked with catching them all again and transferring them all to our old 60L tank that my wife quickly set up.

Anyhoo, yesterday morning I tranferred all those shrimp back to my live well and at 4am, headed for Maroon. I found myself on the water motoring to the timber around 0530. I had my GoPro and camera there but decided to throw a line over the side with a shrimp on while I set up. This shrimp got nailed before I could put the rod in the holder but unfortunately it went under a submerged tree and my 4 lb leader went twang!! so I hit the Anchor button on the Minn Kota and proceeded to set up my Go pro in readiness for the next strike. It didn't take long once I was ready, I put the unweighted shrimp over the side and after about 30 seconds it was all on, and I got my first legal bass going 32cm. It went a bit quiet after that but during the morning I got 4 more all on shrimp best going 36cm so I consider that a success considering it was my second time chasing these critters. I also cast a variety of lures but could not get a hit unfortunately but there is always next time. The rain closed in a bit after 0930 and I decided to bail feeling pretty chuffed that I finally got a bass even if it wasn't on lures.

Fresh water isn't really my thing but that was pretty fun. I never really could see the attraction to it but I kind of get it now and I will have a go from time to time I reckon.

post-9750-14459898933_thumb.png

post-9750-144598989365_thumb.png

post-9750-14459898939_thumb.png

post-9750-144598989421_thumb.png

Archived