Another Video Report- Maroochy River

Potter

Maroochy River Fishing- The plan was to hit the water super early on Saturday (26th Oct) and flick plastics for flatties on the last of the run out tide. But…I had a few beverages Friday night and rolled out of bed at 9.00am.

I hooked up the boat and drove the 5 mins down the road to Mudjimba Boat ramp. Now that the tide was making I decided to pump a few yabbies and chase some whiting/ bream on the flats. I set 2 crab pots near Channel Island in the hope of catching a couple of sandies and continued on down to the lower reaches. Having not had any rain for a while the water was crystal clear which looks inviting but in my opinion isn’t great for fishing as the fish can see and sense you from a distance and most likely head up river to seek some cover in murkier water. However, I love fishing the lower reaches and with polarized sunnies the fishing is very visual. A stealth approach helps and I usually cut the engine and walk the boat over the flats.

There were plenty of undersize bream and whiting about and I had a bit of fun experimenting with the GoPro. I was hoping to film hooking up to a whiting on a popper and although I had a couple of follows they would turn away. I fished up until about 1.00pm and then went for a cruise and met the Mrs for a Hungry Jacks lunch at Chambers Island.

On the run out tide I anchored up on a current line (off a sand bank) and mixed up a bit of berley which brought in the bream and a couple of whiting. I checked the pots at around 3.30pm and although the Sandcrabs were just undersize I managed a nice full muddie. I pulled the boat out and was home by 4pm with a couple of nice whiting, bream and a 45cm flattie. Better results are usually had fishing when no else is…E.g. Early morning, evening/ night, during the week or even on rainy days as everyone hits the river on a sunny weekend and lots of boat/ jetski traffic can make things a bit more challenging. Anyway the fishing was a little bit quieter than usual but a good time is always had on the Maroochy.

• 4 months later...

Archived