Mermaid Reef Mackerel

Peter.T

I haven't been fishing for about a month due to work and the weather so I was very keen to get out this week and try for some mackerel. It all started on Tuesday the 25th the weather not looking the best but thought I would go for a look just solo session and glad it was, I headed out towards the seaway and was having second thoughts heading outside but decided to go for a look, got out not to bad but the ocean was terrible 1.5m swell very close together I got to the first bait reef nothing on it and conditions not good decided to head for home didn't even wet a line. The seaway heading in is the worst I have crossed it 2 hours before low tide with a westerly pushing against the 1.5m easterly swell. It was a 2m vertical swell very close together was challenging to get back in but managed, probably doesn't sound much to the veteran bar crosses but was enough to get my heart going coming in, having to hold it WOT for some sections. If i have second thoughts next time I will not be heading out :silly:

Wednesday 26th headed for mermaid just after 5 wanted a little light on the bar from yesterdays experience ;) was looking good so headed to the bait reef Yakkas were thick so didn't take long and straight to Mermaid. Deployed 2 livies and one pilly. The livie was first to go off for a screaming run then turns for the boat while my inexperienced mate was trying to palm the reel to apply more drag and then it went for another big run SNAP and he was gone. I was next to be hooked up on a pilly and after a couple of runs a 90cm spottie comes on board :woohoo: first Mackerel for my season. We had one more take on the livie but my mate went a little hard again and pulled the hooks headed for home at 9.

post-11012-144599033493_thumb.jpg

Thursday 27th took a good mate of mine and mate from work fishing, having sussed it out the day before had a plan of attack got livies in no time and headed for mermaid getting there around 545 and greeted by the boats, luckily there was space where i was anchored up yesterday (towards the north of the reef) dropped anchor and got set up deploying 3 livies and a pilly. lost 2 in the first hour on livies. Then the first school of mackerel could be seen so quickly through the halco twisty into the mix and straight on and the first schoolie of the morning was landed. threw another cast out a bit later at the school and a big schoolie took the twisty got it boat side when it decided to run around the anchor and was stuck there just out of gaffs reach started to pull the anchor up to bring the fish to surface but no luck with one one tail kick snapped free for another day. The weather was perfect good visibility and the water temp over 250 could see mackerel swimming up and checking out the burley pot, when a pilly rigged up was dropped infront of a schoolie and then see it engulf it and take off was awesome action. last fish caught was at 910 being the only spanish caught from the morning going shy of the meter mark then the sounder shut down at 920 and all action was over and headed for home. Had an awesome morning out with 8 schoolies, 1 spanish and a taylor landed. Thanks to Bri and Mark (Tugger) for all your previous reports giving tips to the mackerel season as they definitely worked!!

post-11012-144599033507_thumb.jpg

post-11012-144599033513_thumb.jpg

post-11012-144599033523_thumb.jpg

Cheers Pete

Cheers Ted I will have to look up a few tips to smoking :whistle: and will give it a go next time.

I know Kelvin maybe third time lucky for him :silly: if he gets another invite.

Forgot to mention i did a bearing on the way home from the ramp on Wednesday and 5 hours later running around GC had me back in action for the Thursday!

Archived