nabs

Hey guys

Most of you probably dont know that i have a dam in my backyard:P

Its stocked with bass that are around 25cm long and VERY fun to catch.

Recently i havent been getting much but after these last few warm days i decided i'll give it a try this arvo for a quick hour session.

Went down at 4:30, started flicking SPs.. and got a few hits and missed fish until finally i managed to land one. I fish landbased in the dam and there are lillies everywhere so there arent many spots to fish. there are a couple of plces where the lillies havent covered up and thats usually where i get the bass. So i hooked that first fish n it went straight for the lillies very fast. it got me in there and stayed there for about 5min before he swam out and i landed him.

I kept going and again kept missing hits and dropped a couple of fish until i landed another one which i managed to keep out of the lillies.

The lure of choice was a berkley powerbait 2inch grub in pumpkinseed with a 1/16 size 4 jigehad.

Heres some pics of the dam and one of the fish.. (they were taken with my phone) [img size=480]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/20_8_06_bass.JPG

Post edited by: nabs, at: 2006/08/20 19:00

post-107-144598400326_thumb.jpg

good work nabs... remember me n ando asked first to fish your dam agggggges ago! :P

ive caught a biger bass then you! haha... but still i wanna fish your dam... the more people that fish it the better chance of catching a bigger one!

how big is the dam roughly?? maybe a yack will help? :P

Troy

p.s. i have a barra n silver perch that i need to get rid of :P about 35cms ea.

Nabs that is absolutely awesome. What other fish you got in there? Also, did you release the bass, or did you buy you land with a damn already on it? If you released them i love to chat and find out where u got the fingerlings from. Love to have some for future ref when i buy land and hopefully build dam as well!

lucky bugger!

L:P

Hey

Im not really sure how big it is but i'll find out. It gets to only about 7meters deep aswell..

The bass have been here since i moved in so im not really sure where the fingerlings were purchased from Ash.. There are also spangle perch in the dam and used to be yellow belly but thanks to trespassers coming in and fishing em out i dont think theres any left.

No catfish or eels either.. which i thought was suprising.

I mite go have a fish today:P so i'll let you know how i go..

Cheers

hey guys

went again today and had an awesome session.. i managed 9 bass in about an hour including my first bass on a popper :)

The last few days they really seem to have turned on and im getting hits every cast. I also lost about 5 fish which managed to tangle up in the lillies :(

I had caught about 6 bass when i got taken into the lillies and lost my SP so i decided to try a popper out.. found the one Ando left in my tackle tray last time we were at manly and within 5 casts there was a big splash rite at my lure but sadly it missed it completely. This happend for the next 15min until finally one fish hit the lure and was hooked on.

Got bored of the lousy hook up rate with the popper so i changed back to my last pumpkinseed grub and managed 2 more fish until another one got me in the lillies and i lost my SP:( tried a pink grub and caught a small spangle perch and then decided to call it a day.

i got some pics which i'll put up soon.

Cheers

hey

Dave, yeh the biggest ive got in the dam was about 25cm.. and in summer when they start biting theres heaps of em and the smallest i've caught would be like 5cm.

Brian, i have got a small canoe but everytime i use it i dont seem to catch any bass..

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Archived