Jackson Cuda 12, 3 Firsts and PB...one great month!

Samrenny

Well sadly its back to work for 2 weeks, and with nothing better to do I thought I’d ease my fishing withdrawals by doing a write up on the past month.

And I definitely can’t complain.

It started off with a first for me, a wild Saratoga around the 60cm mark on a River2sea Buggi pop. My proudest catch to date.

IMG_0974.jpg

A few days later came a nice fat, dark looking wild yellowbelly at 47.5cm, caught on a Kato junior crank. Another first for me.

DSC_0217.jpg

My little Ocean Kayak Mysto had done me well till now, but I was starting to feel the need (or want :whistle: )for a bigger, more dedicated fishing yak. After much research and deliberation, I had finally found a yak that fit the bill for me perfectly…and I am now the proud new owner of a Jackson Cuda 12.

IMG_20140320_090412.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

And first fish in the yak:

DSC_0227.jpg

After sliming her in the fresh, I took her for a run up the coast to (hopefully) do the same in the salt. My target species was the mighty jack, which evaded me, but the day was not wasted. I hooked up to a very welcome by-catch in the form of a nice little 38cm GT on a 21Pontoon Crackerjack, which turned out to be the only fish for that session. But again; a first for me, and an awesome fight on 10lb, so the day definitely wasn’t wasted!

DSC_0237.jpg

Another salt sesh chasing Jacks again resulted in a few Flatties and a bream between us. Probably worth mentioning the cracker of a Flatty Sam Steele dropped right at his feet too, just ask him how happy he was about that :P

DSC_0244.jpg

I managed to fit in one last Bass session before it was back to work, dragging the yak up the newly flowing rapids and getting soaked to the bone in the pouring rain. After hours of fishing and trying every lure in my tacklebox it was looking like it was going to be a fishless session, until I rigged up a green and silver spinnerbait. 3 casts later it was smashed, and I had my new PB bass at a nice 41cm, topping the previous 38cm.

IMG_20140330_165442.jpg

All in all it has been a great month of fishing for me, ticking 3 new species off the list, a new kayak and landing a new PB bass to top it off. Now all I can do is dream till the next off-shift. Bring on Easter Camping…

Cheers!

The Cuda looks like a comfy ride and it's kitted out to do just about anything.

It's great to see you ticking off new species as well as sharing the excitement with others. The more regular reporters the better the site becomes.

You will need to get in quick before the water cools to get your Jack!

Cheers guys!

Thats right Wayne, basically I wanted a yak I could chuck on my racks and take anywhere, ready for anything, from skinny creeks to inshore reefs and back again. Takes a little bit longer to get ready than the old yak, but well worth it when you can stay on the water all day, and comfortabley! Wouldn't mind taking it on a yak camping trip out west :whistle:

And don't worry Sammy, 'plenty more fish in the sea! ;):P

Archived