Will Fraser island useage change?

Binder

Looks like the aboriginals have won a native title claim title over Fraser island, does this mean everyone else will be locked out like they are in other areas where they have won native title?

/>http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-24/federal-court-rules-on-fraser-island-native-title/5839474

Surely there are too many tourist dollars to be lost by closing it to the public?

I sure hope so anyway. First visited at 5 months of age and have been back at least once every years since then for the past 29 years and feel a deep connection with the island and would hate to lose my visiting rights.

I hope they manage it well at any rate.

Everything always changes one way or another.

I have been visiting Fraser since I was two years old(1984), and in the last 15 years it has been decimated more than ever, ironically by the people that in charge of protecting it. QPWS are shocking managers, anyone could do a better job than them. 100 years of logging and sand mining had little impact compared to what the promotion by TQ and misguided views of QPWS have done. Any "new" owners could only do better.

I have relatives ashes who are spread on the island, so my family whilst not being classified aboriginal also have a deep spiritual connection to the island. Much like Damien's thoughts, it'd be very wrong to lock out specific people by race. However much like the rushed(and now heavily branded) world heritage listing, I believe the Butchulla people are just being used as pawns, and their native title is just a marketing ploy for over-educated bureaucrats to feel that they've corrected history somehow, and TQ can put a different spin on things. At the end of the day it's a win for Aboriginals, but native title rarely stands in the way of money being earned.

Archived