Caboolture River 17/02/2014 + New BIG! navigation harzard

STKE

Howdy!

Not really going to report on the fishing as the hazard is more of a warning for others.

Seem to be having a few strike outs lately in my last few trips to the caboolture river. My self and Patners old man tried for a night sharking and crabbing with bugger all results.

As for the Hazard, i'm yet to see a notice to mariners so it has to be very recent.

Whilst going upstream, just before monty's mariner, there is a large trawler around 40 foot anchored pretty much all the time.

Yesterday whilst going upstream we though we saw from a distance was one of those kayaks with the sail attached. However on closer inspection, it's the light booms from the trawler.

The water isn't overly deep in the section so it has rolled onto it's side and sunk, only 1~2 m of structure is visible above water.

The biggest concern is the vessel has very large nets and the tidal flow through the area is quite quick. So a VERY wide birth is advisable.

With two other exposed house boats sitting on their arse of the river for years, i doubt very much that it will be salvaged.

I've marked the location of the boat bellow.

post-10385-144599094356_thumb.jpg

I'd dare say as for reporting it, it's already done since there are a lot of permanent boatie residents on the river.

Salvage is always and interesting thing. Owner can't salvage it if he has no money (bankrupt) and it's cheaper for the government to whack up two hazard markers than pull the thing out of the water. If anything the salvage, of the vessel would be extremely tough since you are limited by exposed shoals at all tides. Be a good topic for debate.

In other future news, one new arti-reef coming to the caboolture river soon...........

That happened on Wednesday morning STKE, I ran past it at around 6 am and said to my mate that she looks to be taking on water as it was sitting quite low.....on the run back to the ramp around 11:30 she was on the bottom and Maritime Safety was at the site putting up hazard signs etc....

Archived