Sounder interference

ozlad

Hi all,

I'm having a few issues with my sounder and getting interference from my motor and just wondering if anyone has had similar issues, and managed to resolve the problem. I have attached a pic of when my motor is off and then turned on, as you can see by the sonar I get interference immediately. I have done the following, however still seem to be getting problem.I I've had this sounder on my previous boat and didn't have this problem, which makes me think it might have something to do with the boats earth...?

post-6013-144599118549_thumb.jpg

Any thoughts?

- Sonar and Structure scan have been separated and are on opposite sides - port and starboard

- Conduit run from the sonar transducer all the way to head unit, separated from all other cables

- Clamp on ferrous noise filters near the battery for head unit power

As you can see sonar is more susceptible to noise than structure scan. Are you still getting the noise when the motor is running but not in gear? The noise looks very uniform. First thing i would try is connect the sounder to another battery, and then start the outboard and see if the noise is still there. I reckon its either noise on the circuit coming from the charge from the outboard to your cranking battery, or its RFI directly affecting the sonar coming from the ignition circuit on the outboard itself.

Thanks mate. I'm willing to give anything a go, as it is really annoying me at the moment. When I hit the throttle or tilt the motor there is visible gaps in the interference, so it is definitely coming from the motor. I didn't think to try the unit batter source and will give that a go. Cheers.

Archived